This Chicken Shawarma Wrap Recipe is so full of flavor! This mediterranean sandwich is everything you'd hoped for. Delicious flavor, yummy tzatziki and roasted vegetables.
We love to eat this wrapped in a pita with our favorite Turkish Shepherd Salad. Hellllo yum!
First preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Then thinly slice the onion and chop the cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato, and peeled carrots. Whisk together spices in a small bowl and set aside. I love using a variety of vegetables, but whatever you have on hand will work just fine.
Next put the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
Then sprinkle around ⅔ of the spice mix on top and mix well.
Next lightly spray a large sheet pan with olive oil spray and pour the vegetables on top. Smooth out and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes total, adding chicken at minute 10.
While the vegetables bake toss the cubed chicken breasts with olive oil, then the remaining spices.
Next chop the zucchini and bell peppers and toss with olive oil. Then thinly slice the cucumbers and shred the lettuce.
In a bowl mix together the greek yogurt, lemon, cucumber and garlic powder to make the tzatziki sauce.
After the vegetables have baked for 10 minutes, remove from oven, add chicken and zucchini and bell peppers and mix together with the vegetables. Return to oven and bake 10-15 more minutes, until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165*F.
Next place shredded lettuce on top of pita or naan bread. Then top with the vegetable/chicken mixture and then with cucumbers and tzatziki sauce. Feel free to add some grape or cherry tomatoes for an extra burst of flavor. This chicken vegetable shawarma is so fresh and light yet filling, it's sure to have you going back for more!
- Plain Chicken Shawarma Wrap- skip the vegetables and half the spices. Season and cook the meat as directed. Complete the rest of the recipe.
- Chicken Shawarma Salad- Serve on a bed of lettuce instead of in a pita and use the tzatziki as dressing.
Other Flavorful Healthy Meals:
Garden Veggie Pasta With Rosemary
Spicy Sriracha and Teriyaki Meatballs
Chicken Shawarma Wrap
For the shawarma:
- 1 ½ pounds raw chicken breasts in 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red onion
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 4 large carrots
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 bell pepper any color, I chose red
- 2 cucumbers 1 ⅔ thinly sliced, ⅓ finely minced or shredded for tzatziki sauce
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
For the spice mix:
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves
- ¾ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the tzatziki sauce:
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cucumber finely minced
Optional for serving:
- Pitas or naan bread.
- cherry or grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Finely slice purple onion. Chop broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and sweet potato.
- Toss in 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Whisk spices together in a small bowl then sprinkle about ¾ on top of vegetables and mix to combine
- Lightly grease a sheet pan and spread vegetables on top
- Bake in oven 8 minutes, then add chicken tossed in 1 teaspoon olive oil, mix and bake an additional 12 minutes.
- While baking, chop zucchini and bell pepper. Toss in remaining olive oil and sprinkle on the rest of spice mixture and mix well.
- After the vegetables have baked 20 minutes total (the first 8 and the second 12) pull out and stir in the remaining vegetables. Bake an additional 7 minutes.
- Thinly slice cucumbers.
Make the Tzatziki:
- Whisk together greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt. Mix in cucumber.
- Place shredded lettuce on top of pita bread. Top with chicken/ vegetable mixture, cucumbers and tzatziki sauce, and tomatoes if desired. Dig in and enjoy this fresh delicious meal!
- Feel free to skip the vegetables, making this a more traditional souvlaki. Half the spices and make everything else as directed.
- This can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If making ahead of time, do not assemble until ready to eat. This also makes amazing leftovers as the flavors deepen over time.
- Feel free to get creative! This can be served on a bed of lettuce, rice or quinoa too! Substitute out any vegetables you feel like, and even swap out the chicken with chick peas for a meatless meal.
These are. a family favorite we keep coming back to. There's a lot of flavor and they are easy to make. Kids love them and it's healthy!
This is an absolute rainbow eat. Such colourful fresh veggies, Tzatziki sauce make the shawarma a must try.
This is so yummy. A meal by itself. Delicious Chicken, healthy combination of veggies. Perfect spices and sauces. Kids to enjoy every bite of it.