This is the opposite of another boring vegetable soup. This cilantro lime flavored quinoa vegetable soup tastes so fresh and satisfying. Packed with flavor, vegetables, quinoa and chickpeas, it's light yet warm and filling. The best part is, it's quick and easy to make and takes about 30 minutes total!
This soup is so great fall winter and spring. It's especially popular in our home January through March after we feel sluggish from too many rich holiday foods. It's a great light and fresh way to fill up on vegetables and meatless protein.
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- vegetable broth
- lime juice
- diced tomatoes
- zucchini and/or summer squash
- colored bell peppers
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Mince (chop finely) onion then add to pot. Add the minced garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next add the vegetable broth, lime juice and quinoa. Bring to a boil then turn down to low and cover. Let simmer 12 minutes. While it simmers chop vegetables and cilantro.
Add zucchini and/or summer squash, bell peppers, cumin, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined and bring back to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
Add chickpeas and kale and simmer 5 more minutes.
Stir in cilantro, simmer one more minute and serve!
- Lettuce- instead of kale, spinach works too- if you use spinach add it in at the end with the cilantro.
- Vegetables- Feel free to switch out vegetables. Green beans would be great. Also, if you don't have a certain vegetable, use more of another.
- Quinoa- I used a mixed quinoa blend, but you could use any quinoa for this recipe.
- Beans- Don't have chickpeas? Feel free to use another white bean.
- Spicy - add 1 chopped jalapeno with the other vegetables.
- Non- vegetarian- use chicken broth and 2 cups shredded chicken instead of vegetable broth and chickpeas.
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- large pot
This makes great leftovers and in some ways is even better the next day. The flavors really soak in and it's delicious! Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Don't overcook the vegetables! No one likes mushy vegetables, so don't cook them longer than directed.Print