Air Fryer Butternut Squash is an easy recipe with perfectly tender roasted cubes that uses no breading. This delish side pairs well with any dinner like chicken, pasta, or even soup! Bonus, it cooks much quicker than baking them in the oven.
Make this recipe with fresh butternut squash or even use frozen squash! Cut into cubes, or leave the whole thing cut in half. You can't go wrong with this fall and winter worthy side.
Use this recipe with our Butternut Squash Pasta Alfredo or serve it as a side with our 3-ingredient Ham Glaze.
Be sure to look to our other air fryer sides like Air Fryer Asparagus, Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes, and Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes.
- Butternut Squash
- Olive oil
See recipe card for quantities.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400* F. Skin the squash and remove the guts and seeds. Cut into roughly 1x1 inch cubes.
2. Add the cubed squash to a large mixing bowl.
3. Toss with olive oil.
4. Add rosemary, nutmeg, and salt.
5. Toss the squash with the olive oil and spices until well coated.
6. Add the seasoned squash to the bottom of a preheated air fryer basket evenly spread out. Some overlapping can occur.
7. Air fry for 10 minutes. Take the basket out after 5 minutes and gently toss the squash.
8. Enjoy air fryer butternut squash as a side or pair with soup or pasta.
Hint: Make sure to cut the squash as close to the same size as possible to help them cook at the same rate.
- Cinnamon- instead of rosemary, make this savory side with cinnamon at a 1:1 ratio.
- Maple Syrup- instead of rosemary, toss in a tablespoon of maple syrup for a sweet side.
- With Brussel Sprouts- make this with brussels sprouts. Slice brussels sprouts in half and toss with together. Or check out our air fryer brussel sprout recipe.
- With Green Beans - halfway through the cook time, add fresh green beans for a delicious mixture. Or look at our air fryer green bean recipe.
- With Sweet Potatoes -instead of 4 cups of squash, do 2 cups of squash and 2 cups of cubed sweet potatoes.
- Fries- Toss with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch after you add the olive oil and make these butternut squash fries.
- Spicy- add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for a spicy variation.
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Air Fryer- we like the Foodi Ninja or Instant Pot Air Fryer.
Store cooked squash in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. To reheat air fry again for 5 minutes or until warm. The texture may not be the same after it's been refrigerated.
Freeze uncooked cut cubes in an air tight container for up to 1-2 months. Thaw and air fry when ready to use.
Not all air fryers cook the same. Remember to keep an eye on cook time when using any air fryer recipe for the first time to know how to adjust the cook time according to the brand and style of air fryer you may have.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- air fryer depending on the air fryer you use, you may need to adjust the cook time. Not all air fryers cook the same!
- 3-4 cups Butternut Squash Cubed, about 1 whole squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 400* F.
- With a sharp knife, carefully dice butternut squash into roughly 1 inch by 1 inch cubes. Be sure to remove the outside of the squash and seeds and guts before cubing.
- In a large bowl, toss the cubed squash with olive oil. Add Rosemary, Nutmeg, and Salt and toss until well coated.
- Add the seasoned cubes to the bottom of the preheated air fryer. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove and shake the air fryer basket. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until tender and the outside is golden brown on the edges.
- Eat as a savory side, toss with pasta, or add to a soup.
Visit the search results to see which questions come up under the "People also ask" section for your primary keyword, and answer them here
It is so easy to air fry butternut squash. This recipe tastes amazing and I had squash ready to eat in half the time. Easy to toss in noodle dishes, soups or a side dish with a roast.