Learn how to make Cinnamon Rolls in the Air Fryer- they are absolute perfection! They are the perfect texture: hot, soft and tender on the inside, with a slight thin crispness on the outside. This will be your new go-to way to cook Pillsbury (or other pre-made) cinnamon rolls! Easily the best way I've ever eaten them.
These are a simple quick and easy dessert or breakfast for when you're crunched for time or just have some hungry teenagers or kids hanging around. Learn what temperature to cook cinnamon rolls at in the air fryer. This is the best way to make pre-made/ packaged cinnamon rolls!
This was inspired by our Air Fryer S'Mores and goes great with some Homemade Caramel Topping on top! If you like cinnamon desserts, try our easy Churro Chips or Sopapilla Cheesecake! You have to try our TikTok Cinnamon Rolls and Cinnamon Roll Casserole!
For more air fryer recipes and tips be sure to check out our How To Use an Air Fryer guide.
What I Like About Them
Sometimes I need to whip up a quick dessert or don't feel like baking, or sometimes it's a birthday and I need a quick breakfast. Store bought Pillsbury cinnamon rolls are a great quick and easy solution! Not only is it faster to make them in the air fryer, but they also taste so much better and have a better texture!
These are great because they only take 2 ingredients! Follow our guidance on each ingredient for best results.
- refrigerator cinnamon rolls- I use Pillsbury, but this will work with any brand of cinnamon rolls. We tested a few different off brands and they all worked just as well. Use your favorite!
- avocado oil (for brushing on the air fryer basket)- you can use other kinds of oil, but I recommend avocado after testing many different types of oil in my air fryer. It has a high smoke point and I've found that olive oil leaves a residue on my air fryer basket.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls
Use these process shots to help get the results you are wanting. The pictures can help with texture and be a visual guide for best results.
1. Preheat the air fryer to 350*F. Brush avocado or other oil on your air fryer basket to prevent the rolls from sticking. I like avocado because it is mostly tasteless and odorless. I don't recommend olive oil, it seems to leave a residue over time on the air fryer.
2. Place cinnamon rolls in the air fryer basket, about ½" apart or closer for rolls that puff up and touch*. Place with cinnamon bits facing up.
*If you don't want the cinnamon rolls to touch, place more than ½" apart and reduce baking time by 2 minutes.
3. Cook cinnamon rolls in the air fryer and cook for 6-9 minutes. We use the Ninja Foodi Grill XL air fryer and found 7 minutes made them absolutely perfect. They are soft and tender on the inside with the sliiiightest thin crunchy exterior.
4. Bring frosting to room temperature and drizzle over the top of the rolls. For frosting that absorbs into the cinnamon roll and hardens on top, pour over while warm. For frosting that is sticky and sits on top, wait for the rolls to cool completely before drizzling with frosting.
Hint: Eat them while they're warm and fresh! These were specifically designed to be eaten warm, and the texture is just so much better.
Substitutions and Variations
We love switching things up when we're in the kitchen. Try any of these variations for something a little different.
- Oil - instead of avocado oil, feel free to use a different oil. We don't recommend coconut oil due to it's low smoke point (see more information about food safety at the bottom of the post).
- Caramel -whip up some of our Homemade Caramel Topping and drizzle it over the top.
- Nuts - add some pecan bits for a yummy cinnamon pecan flavor.
- Chocolate - drizzle chocolate over the top for that yummy Mexican Chocolate flavor. Delicious!
- Egg Nog- dress them up for the holidays with an Egg Nog Glaze- you can find our favorite Egg Nog Glaze recipe on this post.
- Maple Bacon - add a maple glaze and top with bacon bits for a fun and interesting twist!
Storing Pillsbury Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls
We recommend waiting to cook them until ready to eat. Store uncooked rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days then make as directed.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 350*F for 3-4 minutes.
These can be frozen if necessary. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Bring to room temperature then reheat in the air fryer at 350*F for 3-4 minutes.
Don't overcook the cinnamon rolls! If they are overcooked they will be dry and tough instead of tender and moist.
Rotate the basket: If your air fryer has a rotating basket or tray, consider giving it a gentle turn halfway through the cooking process to ensure even browning.
Adjust the cooking time: Since air fryers can vary in temperature and power, it's important to monitor the cinnamon rolls closely as they cook. Start with the recommended cooking time, but be prepared to adjust it as needed. For reference, we used a NINJA foodi air fryer.
Arrange the rolls: Place the cinnamon rolls in a single layer inside the air fryer basket. Leave some space between them to allow for expansion as they rise and bake.
Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls (Pillsbury)
- 8 Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls 1 package
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 350*F and remove the basket.
- Brush avocado oil over the basket to prevent the cinnamon rolls from sticking.
- Place the cinnamon rolls in the air fryer basket in a single layer ½" apart or less*. This spacing will let them puff up and cook into each other.
- Cook for 6-9 minutes. Ours were perfect at minute 7. They will be lightly golden brown and soft and tender inside. See photos above for a great visual on this.
- *For cinnamon rolls with more crispy edges, place them more than ½" apart and reduce the cooking time by 2 minutes.
- We recommend eating these hot and fresh! Store uncooked rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If you have cooked leftovers store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 350*F for 3-4 minutes.
- For freezing: store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature then reheat as directed above.
- Please note that all air fryers are a little bit different. Your cooking time may vary. We used a NINJA Foodi grill XL for this recipe.
- Do not over cook the cinnamon rolls or they will be dry and touch instead of soft and tender.
- If you don't want your cinnamon rolls touching, place ½" apart in the air fryer basket.
- If you are able to rotate your basket, we recommend rotating the basket in the middle of the cooking process to ensure a more even baking.
Preheat air fryer to 360*F. Heat for around 3 minutes, start checking at minute 2.
Place rolls in a single layer in the basket, so they aren't quite touching. Air fry at 350* for 6-9 minutes total, until they are golden brown. Ours had a slight crispness on the outside and were soft and fluffy inside.
You can absolutely use aluminum foil in the air fryer basket. You can also use parchment paper, just make sure it is specific for the air fryer or it will burn.
6-9 minutes at 350°F. Make sure to preheat your air fryer before use and rotate the basket halfway through if possible, to promote more even cooking.