These soft Maraschino Cherry Almond Cookies made with maraschino cherries and white chocolate chips are paired perfectly with a not-too-sweet cookie base. Also known as cherry chip cookies, they are as delicious as they sound and are the perfect crowd-pleasing cookie for entertaining or a cookie party.
They are so fun for Valentine's Day, but are neutral enough they work also work anytime of year, but feel like spring and summer to me.
These were inspired by our lemon crinkle cookies and would pair well with our strawberry white chip cookies and Cookie Monster Stuffed Cookies for a party. If I'm being honest, I just like to make them for myself ha! Like most cookies, these are super easy to make and are quick to whip up.
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- almond extract
- maraschino cherries
- baking soda
- white chocolate chips
Check recipe card for quantities.
1. First, preheat the oven to 350*F. Then cut the cherries. I like to keep the sizes random, so I cut some into eighths and some into fourths. Size doesn't matter here. Roll them in a paper towel to absorb the excess moisture.
2. Next cream the butter and sugars. Beat on medium speed in a bowl with an electric mixer or using a stand mixer and the paddle attachment. Beat until combined. Once combined, turn up the speed to high and beat for 2 minutes. Add the eggs and extracts and beat on high until well combined, about 30-60 seconds.
3. Add the dry ingredients. Either mix the dry ingredients in a bowl separately then add to the wet ingredients -or- add the flour first, then the baking soda and salt on top and give it a quick little mix with your (clean) fingertips. This will prevent the baking soda from clumping together. For that soft melt in your mouth texture, make sure to just baaaaaaarely mix once you've added the dry ingredients.
4. Add the white chocolate chips and the maraschino cherries and fold them in. This will help give that texture we love without over mixing. I will say that because of the added cherries, these cookies are easy to over mix, and over mixed cookies can be tough and hard.
5.Scoop about 1 ½- 2 Tablespoons sized cookie dough balls onto a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet. Bake at 350* F for 10 minutes. Bake until the tops are matte and the edges have set and are just starting to turn golden. Enjoy!
Hint: Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat will make for easier clean up and help the cookies bake more evenly.
- dried cherries- add about ¾ cup of dried cherries instead of maraschino.
- gluten free- these have not been tested with gluten free all purpose flour.
- Dark Chocolate Cherry- change the white for dark chocolate chips for that classic cherry and dark chocolate flavor. Melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle over the tops.
- Cherry Vanilla Cookies- don't like almond? Ditch the almond and use 2 teaspoons vanilla instead of one.
- Cherry Chip Cookies- Use 1 cup cherry chips for a fun variation and a cherry chip cake type of flavor.
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- these can be made by hand, it just takes much longer.
These store GREAT in the freezer. I like to put them in the freezer while they are still slightly warm. When reheated, they retain their soft and tender texture.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 8 seconds to get that soft texture back.
Do NOT, I repeat, do not over mix the dough once you add the dry ingredients. The texture is so much better when you keep mixing to a minimum after adding the dry ingredients.
Maraschino Cherry Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 36 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350* F
- Chop the maraschino cherries into quarters and eighths- variation is good! Roll in a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture.
- Cream butter and sugars. Beat together on high for 2 minutes, scrape down the sides. Add eggs, almond extract and vanilla extract and beat for 1 more minute. Mix in dry ingredients until juuuust combined- be careful not to over mix! Add maraschino cherries and white chocolate chips and mix briefly, again being very careful not to over mix.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. The top of the cookie should be matte and the edges should be set.