This show stopping Double Layer Pumpkin Pie has been a fun family recipe for over 10 years! I first made it when my husband and I were first married and it's the only way we eat pumpkin pie now! This creamy, pumpkin spice addition adds a delicious layer that is made in less than 10 minutes. You can top a homemade pie, or even a store bought pie with this cream cheese mixture that resembles a no-bake cheesecake.
This pie is perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas! Give classic pumpkin pie a new look with an easy enhancement that tastes amazing! Better yet, you can easily freeze this dessert, making any holiday a little easier.
Be sure to check out our other quick and easy pie recipes like Caramel apple pie, Banoffee Pie, Caramel Pie, Turtle Pie, Chocolate Cream Pie, Oreo Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, or Banana Cream Pie. For more ideas, look at our list of cream pies.
If you aren't using a store-bought pie, you will need to use this list of ingredients to make a homemade pumpkin pie. If you just need the top layer, you'll only need a few simple ingredients.
- Single Pie Crust- This only needs a bottom crust. Save time and use store bought or make your own.
- Pumpkin Puree- Make sure to buy pumpkin puree. You can use pumpkin pie filling but be sure to use the instructions on the package.
- Eggs- Makes that custard filling. They can be straight from the refrigerator but room temperature will give a better cooking experience.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice- This is the fall spice you love and makes the pumpkin pie and the double layer taste just right.
- Cinnamon- Added to both the pie and the top layer.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- Mixed with the pumpkin puree to make the pie. Don't mistake with evaporated milk!
- Heavy Whipping Cream- Make sure to thaw before using so that it's mixable.
- Powdered Sugar- To help thicken and sweeten the second layer.
- Vanilla Extract
- Cream Cheese- Soften beforehand to eliminate any chunks so you get a smooth topping.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Double Layer Pumpkin Pie
Learn how to make this delicious pumpkin pie by following our easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Use the pictures below for best results.
- Start by making the pumpkin pie in a single pie crust. Once done, let the pie cool completely.
2. Once the pie cools, whip the heavy whipping cream, with an electric hand mixer, in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In a separate mixing bow, cream the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
3. Fold in the whipped cream with the pumpkin cream cheese mixture. Add the pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree to the smooth cream cheese mixture and beat together until a smooth mixture is formed.
4. With a rubber scrapper, evenly distribute the whipped topping on top of the cool pumpkin pie. A thick layer should be made.
7. Make sure to spread the creamy mixture across the entire pie. Sprinkle with more pumpkin pie spice for looks.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to help the pie set. Serve and enjoy!
Hint: You can serve and eat this pie right after spreading the pumpkin cream cheese topping but the pie will have a better texture and blend if you refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Substitutions and Variations
- Store Bought Pumpkin Pie - turn any typical store bought pumpkin pie into a creamy sensation by adding the pumpkin whipped topping to the top.
- Gluten Free - use gluten free pie crust, store bought or homemade, instead of a traditional pie crust. Can be found in most freezer isles.
- Cream Cheese - don't want pumpkin puree in the creamed topping? Or don't have enough on hand. Simply add the whipping cream and cream cheese mixture together without the pumpkin puree.
Storing Double Layer Pumpkin Pie
Store Double Layer pumpkin pie with whipped topping in the refrigerator with saran wrap loosely over the top. Store for 3-4 days.
This pie freezes very easily! Wrap with saran wrap or put in an air tight container and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator when ready to eat, or eat frozen!
To ensure a creamy texture for the top layer, make sure to soften the cream cheese beforehand. This will help it mix smoothly. I once forgot to soften the cream cheese and it was a nightmare trying to mix together.
Double Layer Pumpkin Pie
Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- 1 single pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan your favorite recipe or store bought
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15, ounces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can 12 ounces, sweetened condensed milk
Or Use a Store Bought Pie
Whipped Cream Cheese Pumpkin Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Form pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Mix together pumpkin puree, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and eggs. Mix until smooth. Add in sweetened condensed milk and mix well. Pour pumpkin mixture into pie crust and cook at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and cook for 40-50 or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center. Remove from oven and let set and cool.
Whipped Cream Cheese Pumpkin Topping
- While pumpkin pie is cooling, whip whipping cream in a medium sized bowl until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add softened cream cheese and beat with beaters until smooth. Add in pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix all together until smooth. Gently fold in the whipped cream with the pumpkin puree, cream cheese mixture. Set aside and refrigerate until pumpkin pie is fully cooled and set.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the set and cooled pumpkin pie. Refrigerate the pie for at least 30 minutes to an hour to let the whipped topping set.
- Use a store bought pumpkin pie and make the whipped topping to enhance the pie and make it a double layer pie.
- Be sure to softened the cream cheese for best results.
- This pie freezes well. Freeze in an air tight container for 1-2 months. Thaw or eat frozen when ready to eat.
Yes, just like regular pumpkin pie, you can freeze this easy thanksgiving pie for 1-2 months in an air tight container. Thaw in the refrigerator when ready to eat or serve frozen!