This simple no-bake Chocolate Cream Pie recipe is quick and easy to make! Made with Jell-o instant chocolate pudding, cool whip and an Oreo (or other chocolate cookie) crust. With it's fast, easy prep, simple 4- ingredients and melt in your mouth decadence, it is truly the best!
Chocolate Pudding Pie is popular year round. In the summertime it makes a great no-bake dessert, and is also a must-serve at your holiday dessert table during the colder months!
- Jello chocolate instant pudding mix
See recipe card for quantities.
1. Finely crumble Oreos. I like to use a food processor or blender to get the crumbs extra small. Large crumbs work too, but the crust stays together better with fine crumbs. Pour butter into the crumbs, mix with a fork and press into a pie plate. Use a fork and your finger to form a tidy edge.
2. Get the chocolate Jell-o instant pudding mix and pour into a cold bowl. The bowl doesn't have to be cold, but we recommend it, especially if your kitchen is warm. Mix vigorously with a whisk until thickened, or use a hand mixer with a whisk attachment on high.
3. Place 4 oz of cool whip (half of an 8oz container) in with the instant pudding and fold to combine until smooth.
4. Spread the pudding/ cool whip mixture evenly onto the OREO crust. Top with the remaining Cool Whip and spread evenly. Top with chocolate curls, if desired.
Hint: Use finely crushed Oreos. Big and small crumbs can also be used, but the crust will be more crumbly and fall apart. A finer crumb will stick together much better!
- Sugar-free - use sugar free OREOs and use sugar free instant pudding mix and sugar free cool whip for a sugar free version
- Graham Cracker Crust - use 1 package graham crackers plus 2 extra sheets and 5 Tablespoons butter for a graham cracker crust
- pre-made crust - this can be made with a store bought pre-made crust! We recommend chocolate, but you can pick a graham cracker or even regular pie crust!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding Pie - use a 3.9 oz box of chocolate pudding mix and 1 ½ cups milk, and 3 ounces cool whip for the chocolate filling. For the peanut butter filling use 6 ounces cream cheese, ½ cup powdered sugar and ½ cup peanut butter. Beat on high until well combined. Spread the peanut butter filling over the crust, then top with the chocolate, then the remaining cool whip and serve as normal!
- Coconut - use a 3.9 ounce box of chocolate pudding and 2 ounces of coconut instant pudding for the filling, and to the crust add ½ cup coconut flakes.
- Milk Chocolate - for a lighter, creamier chocolate taste we recommend using the graham cracker crust and replacing the milk with half and half.
- Peppermint Chocolate Pie - Add ½ teaspoon peppermint flavoring at the same time as adding the milk and top with crushed candy canes or peppermint! Perfect for Christmas!
- Chocolate Banana - Simply cut up 2 bananas into slices about ¼" thick, and place on the pie crust before adding the chocolate filling.
- Layered - before adding the Cool Whip, scoop out half the pudding and place it on the crust and smooth it out. Add the 4 oz Cool Whip to the remaining pudding and fold together. Smooth on top of pudding layer. Then use the rest of the Cool Whip for the top layer.
Store the pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
We do not recommend freezing this pie, as little ice crystals will form due to the milk content.
Easy Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 pie tin
- 24 OREO cookies without the cream
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 5.9 oz package chocolate Jello instant pudding mix
- 2 ¼ cups milk
- 8 oz container cool whip thawed and divided
- Place mixing bowl in the freezer. Divide the cream from the OREO cookies. Process the cookies in a food processor until the crumbs are fine. Pour into pie plate. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl and pour onto OREO crumbs. Mix with a fork then press into the bottom and up the sides of pie plate.
- Remove bowl from the freezer then pour milk and instant pudding mix into the bowl. Whisk vigorously until thickened, about 2-4 minutes. You may also use a hand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Scoop out half the Cool Whip (4oz) and fold into the pudding mixture until well combined.
- Pour the pudding mix into the crust and spread smoothly and evenly. Scoop out the rest of the Cool Whip (4oz) and spread across the top of the pudding.
- Refrigerate 2+ hours.
- Top with chocolate chips, chocolate shavings or chocolate curls
- For a layered pie, before adding the cool whip, scoop out half the pudding into the bottom of the crust. Mix the cool whip into the remaining pudding at assemble as normal.
- We don't recommend freezing this pie. It will get little ice shards due to the milk content. If you do freeze it, allow to thaw in the refrigerator at least 5 hours before eating.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.