Get ready for the easiest original Chicken Taco Soup recipe made in the crockpot. This 5 can soup is so easy to assemble and is perfect for any busy fall evening. With delicious ingredients like Rotel, black beans, and salsa you can't go wrong. Make it in your slow cooker and eat it for dinner or freeze it for the perfect freezer meal.
This is the perfect crockpot soup for the busy fall season as the weather cools and school and sports schedules get busy. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and you don't have to think about it until you're ready to eat!
Be sure to check out our other great soups like our Chili's Southwest Chicken Soup, or out Cheesy Cauliflower Soup.
Try this soup with our Cornbread cake, or our Arepa Con Queso recipe.
- Chicken breast
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
See recipe card for quantities.
- Add a frozen chicken breast to the middle of the crockpot.
2. Add the tomato products, salsa, Rotel, and diced tomatoes on top of the chicken.
3. Next add corn, black beans, kidney beans, cumin, and chicken broth to the slow cooker.
4. Mix the ingredients leaving the chicken on the bottom of the crockpot. Cook for 4-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through.
5. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the crockpot and shred using two forks, or a kitchen aid.
6. Add chicken back to the soup and mix well. Serve garnished with your favorite taco toppings!
Hint: Serve with extra toppings like black olives, sour cream, green onions, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips for a load taco soup.
- Canned Chicken - Use canned chicken instead of frozen chicken breast. Add the chicken when the soup has cooked for 4-6 hours on low.
- Vegetarian -make this vegetarian by substituting the chicken for additional beans of your choice. Try 1 can of Great Northern Beans and 1 extra can of Black Beans.
- Deluxe - make this Chicken Taco Soup deluxe by adding guacamole, sour cream, green onions, shred cheese, and tortilla chips.
Store cooked soup for 3-4 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Once cooled, freeze soup in an air tight container or gallon freezer bag for up to 2 months. Reheat on the stovetop on medium heat, or the crockpot.
Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, be sure to shred it using your favorite shredding method. Be sure to check out our favorite and easiest way to shred chicken here. We love using the kitchen aid method!
Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 crock pot
- 1 16 ounce jar red Salsa mild (2 cups)
- 1 large chicken breast or 2 medium, frozen
- 1 can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can Kidney Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- In a large crock pot place the frozen chicken breast on the bottom.
- Add the remaining ingredients on top of the chicken and mix well.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or 3-4 hour on high.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove and shred. Add the shredded chicken back into the soup, mix.
Serve with your favorite taco toppings:
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Green onion
- To shred chicken, be sure to check out our Easy How to Shred Chicken Guide.
An amazing soup recipe for the fall season! I have made this at least once a week! Loved the flavor.
This was so delicious! Every single kid and adult in my heavily devoured it. I will definitely be adding this to the recipe rotation.
Loved coming home to this delicious soup yesterday, having spent only minutes preparing it! Delicious comfort food!
Always my ultimate favorite soup to make. This easy taco soup is filled with delicious flavor.
Always love a non meat option! Such a good soup
This was amazing and such a treat! Thank you!
I Just tried this recipe and my family loved it. It was so easy and the flavors were fantastic.
Such a great dump and go recipe! Perfect for busy days.
I made this a couple times last fall and I already can’t wait to make it again this year! So flavorful and delicious!