Make Taco Tuesday in a pinch with this quick and easy Instant Pot Taco Meat recipe made with either fresh (thawed) or frozen ground beef. The best weeknight dinner recipe made with three simple ingredients, water (or beef broth for more flavor), one taco seasoning packet, and 1 pound of ground beef.
Looking for Instant Pot taco dinner ideas? Look no further, this recipe has you covered even on the busiest of days. Add this easy meat into your tacos, enchiladas, nachos, soup, bowls, or any other Mexican inspired meal. It won't disappoint.
Make this meal without a taco seasoning packet by using our Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe here.
Add this meat to our Chicken Taco Soup instead of using chicken.
- Ground Beef- for this recipe you can use fresh (thawed) or frozen ground beef.
- Water- use water in a pinch but for greater flavor use beef broth instead. Water will still have delicious and quick results.
- Taco Seasoning Packet- For a quick and easy meal use your favorite brand of taco seasoning packet. Or you can use our Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe here. The ingredients include: cumin, chili powder, coriander, onion powder, paprika, garlic, oregano and salt.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Add water or beef broth to the bottom of an instant pot. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top of the water.
2. Place the fresh or frozen ground beef on top of the water and taco seasoning mixture.
3. Secure the electric pressure cookers lid. Make sure the settings are set to seal. Push the Pressure cook button and cook for 4 minutes if thawed.
4. When the timer goes off, immediately and carefully release the pressure. The beef will not be fully cooked.
5. Push the sauté button and finish cooking the beef.
6. Saute the excess liquid away and cook until no longer pink. Stir continually.
7. Serve in tacos, enchiladas, quasadillas, soups, or your other favorite Mexican inspired dish.
Hint: Make sure to quick release as soon as the timer goes off. You don't want to overcook the meat before you can break it up and get that ground beef look.
Substitutions and Variations
This is a basic Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker recipe that is without salsa, chicken broth, or diced tomatoes. You can make it your own style by using these substitutions.
- Ground Turkey- instead of using ground beef, use ground turkey for similar results. We love using ground turkey for better heart health and lower saturated fats.
- Hamburger -while ground beef is hamburger, use uncooked hamburger patties that need to be eaten up to make this recipe.
- Taco Seasoning Packet- while you can make your own taco seasoning, using a packet is quick and convenient.
- Beef Broth: this weekday meal tastes great with just added water, but take your flavor game to the next level with beef broth instead.
- Chicken Broth: while you are cooking beef, chicken broth can add some extra flavor you may be wanting. Use chicken broth instead of water in the electric pressure cooker.
- Rice - serve this meat with a side of Mexican rice. You can cook it on the stove top or rice cooker while your meal is cooking.
For this recipe you will need the following equipment to have the best results while cooking.
Store any leftover Instant Pot Taco Meat in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. To serve again heat in the microwave until heated all the way through.
Once cooked, you can freeze this meal in an air tight container for 1-2 months. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator and then cook in the microwave until heated all the way through.
Make sure to adjust the cook time depending if you are using frozen, or thawed meat. You don't want to over cook the meat while under pressure or it will cook in the block looking form making it difficult to serve as intended.
Yes. By following these steps, you can make the perfect meat for your tacos. It takes less than 20 minutes to make, from fresh or frozen.
Instant Pot Taco Meat
- Electric Pressure Cooker This recipe uses a 6 quart instant pot
- 1 cup water or 1 cup of beef broth for a more flavorful dish
- 1 pound ground beef thawed or frozen
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning equivalent to 1 taco seasoning packet
- In a 6 quart instant pot or electric pressure cooker, add the water or beef broth. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top of the water. Add the ground beef on top of the taco seasoning water mixture.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot making sure the vent seal is closed. Press the pressure cook button and make sure it is set to high. If frozen, pressure cook for 6 minutes. If thawed, cook for 4 minutes.
- As soon as the time goes off, immediately use the quick release valve to release the pressure. Remove the lid and press the saute button. The meat will not be cooked all the way through at this point.
- Break the ground beef up and sautee until the excess liquid has evaporated and ground beef is cooked all the way through. This take 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the cooked meat and use it for tacos, enchiladas, or your favorite Mexican inspired dish.
- Make sure to release the pressure immediately after the timer goes off. You don't want to overcook the meat or it will be hard to work with.
- This is a great meal to make when you forget to thaw the ground beef the night before.
- Use our homemade taco seasoning recipe here.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended