Using staple spices from the cupboard make the best, easy and mild Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning. Better than store bought packets, this quick and healthy spin on your favorite seasoning is sure to amplify any Mexican dinner. The perfect blend of spices.
Use this homemade copycat Old El Paso seasoning for your next chicken fajitas, tacos, enchiladas, quesadilla, for the perfect taste. This gluten free, low sodium blend is made from scratch which gives you the ability to adjust according to your families taste preferences.
Use this seasoning with your next shredded chicken meal, use our how to shred chicken guide for best tips for shredded chicken.
You can even use this recipe on beef! Check out our Instant Pot Taco Meat recipe.
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Table Salt
- Black Pepper
- Dried Oregano
See recipe card for quantities.
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder.
2. Add the dried oregano, salt and black pepper.
3. Next add onion powder, and coriander.
4. Last, add in the cumin powder.
5. Mix altogether until an even blend is made.
Hint: This Chicken Taco Seasoning recipe makes 2 Tablespoons of taco seasoning which is equivalent to 1 store bought taco seasoning packet.
- No Chili Powder- Don't have chili powder? Double the cumin and paprika and add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Without Coriander- don't have coriander? You can easily leave this spice out of the blend.
- Without Cumin- double the paprika, and add a ½ teaspoon more of chili powder.
- Vegetarian - Make this a vegetarian style seasoning by seasoning jackfruit, sweet potatoes, black beans, or zucchini.
- In the Crockpot - add this seasoning to crockpot chicken for your next taco or enchilada meal.
- Beef- this copycat Mccormick seasoning can be used with beef also!
- Marinade - make this a tasty marinade by adding it to ½ cup olive oil. Add the olive oil and spices to a gallon ziplock bag and add raw chicken. Let sit for 30 minutes, or overnight for best results, and then cook.
- Spicy- Add ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper for a spicy version.
- No Sodium- Exclude salt for a no or low sodium option.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
This does not freeze well.
Use this homemade taco seasoning packet with grilled chicken, ground chicken, in the crockpot, or air fryer! You can't go wrong with this tasty seasoning.
Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl add all the spices. Mix until well blended.
- Use on any chicken for enchiladas, fajitas, quesadillas, tacos, or your choice.
- Adjust the amount of salt according to your salt preferences.
- You can leave out the coriander if you don't have any on hand.
- This recipe also pairs well with beef, pork, and fish meals.
- Double or triple the recipe to have taco seasoning on hand quickly! 2 tablespoons is equal to 1 store-bought packet.
Yes! This seasoning works great with chicken, beef, pork, and fish.