Get ready for the best and easiest Cornbread Cake recipe made from scratch. A sweet, and quick cake-like bread that is easy to make and has a moist texture. This recipe is better than Jiffy and is made, from start to finish, in less than 30 minutes.
Make this sweet bread as a side with your favorite chili or soup or eat it as a dessert served with honey butter or honey frosting. Just like you would have in Mississippi, Kentucky or Georgia!
- Yellow Cornmeal
- All-Purpose Flour
- White Sugar
- Baking powder
- Table Salt
- Melted butter, unsalted
- Milk, dairy
See recipe card for quantities.
- Combine the all-purpose flour and cornmeal in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the cornmeal mixture.
3. Mix until evenly distributed.
4. Add the melted butter, eggs, and milk to the dry ingredients.
5. Hand mix until a smooth batter is made.
6. Pour the batter into a greased 9x9 baking dish. Bake for 15-17 minutes at 425* F.
7. Enjoy topped with butter, honey, or eaten plain!
Hint: If making for a larger crowd, this recipe easily doubles. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Kodiak Cake Flour- instead of all-purpose flour substitute for kodiak cake flour at a 1:1 ratio.
- Honey Butter - top each slice with honey butter.
- Blueberries- add ½ cup fresh blueberries into the batter before baking.
- Blackberries - add ½ cup fresh blackberries before baking.
- Pecans- Add an extra crunch by adding ½ cup pecans to the batter before baking.
- Peaches- Add 1 diced peach to the batter before baking.
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x9 baking dish
Store extra cornbread in an air tight container at room temperature for 1-2 days.
This bread freezes well once baked. In an air tight container or gallon bag place pre-cut squares in the freezer for 1-2 months.
To have a moist cake-like texture, be sure to keep an eye on it when the bake time is almost up. You don't want to overcook the cake or it will be a dryer texture.