Egg and Biscuit Breakfast Casserole made with sausage is a breakfast sandwich in casserole form. A quick and easy homemade family breakfast that uses canned biscuits and can be made ahead of time, the night before or the morning of. This tasty morning meal is amazing, and you still get fluffy and delicious eggs and biscuits.
This quick cheesy tube biscuit recipe is an easy meal to make overnight and serve the next morning. You get a delicious layered casserole with all of your favorite breakfast foods, eggs, sausage, biscuits, and cheese!
This casserole is made without potatoes and without using butter. See variations for a way to add cooked hash browns.
This makes a great breakfast or brunch dish. Be sure to check out our other delicious brunch and breakfast recipes like our Veggie Quiche recipe, The Best Protein Packed Pancake Recipe, or Crunchy Cinnamon Granola with Egg Whites. Or add a side with our delicious Jammy Eggs.
Why We Love this Recipe
- Versatile- This is such an easy recipe to make the way you want it. Make it dairy free by using nut milks and vegan cheese. Or use your favorite meats like bacon, or sausage, or ham.
- Easy- We love how easy this is. You can dump all of the ingredients into a baking pan and have a tasty breakfast in no time at all.
- Make Ahead- I make this the night before all the time. It makes for a quick and easy breakfast to reheat and go. A great meal prep option.
- Family Friendly- My family loves this meal and everyone quests it all the time. Kids and adults!
- Busy Morning- This is the perfect busy morning breakfast, especially when you make it the night before.
- Budget Friendly- This is a great meal that feeds the whole family at a low cost.
- Can /Tube of biscuits - buttermilk, flaky, or butter flavored all work great with this recipe. This is found in most refrigerated sections of the grocery store.
- Ground breakfast sausage- Use breakfast Italian Sausage for the best result and flavor.
- Eggs- You can use these fridge right out of the fridge, they don't have to be room temperature.
- Milk- We used 2% dairy milk when making this but you can use any percent of milk or you can use almond milk or oat milk.
- Table Salt and Black Pepper- This is a simple and traditional seasoning for breakfast foods.
- Shredded cheddar cheese- This adds and compliments the other flavors and ingredients. You can also use mild cheddar or your favorite kind of cheese.
See recipe card for quantities.
- On medium heat, in a medium sized skillet, brown breakfast pork sausage until completely cooked through. Drain away excess fat and set aside.
2. Open the tube of canned biscuit dough and cut each biscuit round in four equal parts.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl crack the eggs. Pour in the milk and add salt and pepper with the eggs.
4. Whisk the egg, milk, salt, and pepper mixture until fully mixed. The eggs yolks should be broken. Whisk for about 1 minute.
5. Place the cut biscuit dough pieces on the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan. The biscuit pieces can be touching or even overlapping slightly. There also can be gaps in between the biscuit dough pieces.
6. Evenly sprinkle the cooked sausage over the top of the biscuit dough pieces. Pour the whisked egg and milk mixture on top of the sausage and biscuits.
Don't worry this won't make the biscuit soggy!
7. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese evenly on top of the egg and milk mixture. Add more cheese based on how cheesy you like it!
8. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the egg is set and the biscuits are not doughy.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for an easy early morning breakfast.
Hint: Serve this dish with extra flavor by serving with salsa, ketchup, or even sausage gravy.
- Ham- Instead of sausage, use diced ham. You can use leftover ham from the easter holidays or another meal.
- Bacon - Substitute cooked sausage with cooked bacon. Cook bacon and crumble or cut into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle bacon on the cut biscuits instead of ground breakfast sausage.
- Vegetarian- Remove the meat altogether and have a vegetarian breakfast recipe. This vegetarian casserole will still have the delicious flavor of biscuits, egg, and cheese.
- Veggie lovers - In addition to the sausage, or instead of the sausage, make this a a veggie lovers casserole but adding diced onion, diced green pepper, and sliced mushrooms.
- Hash browns - Make this a supreme breakfast by adding cooked hash browns on top of the biscuit dough. You will need to use a 9x13 baking pan to account for the added food. Make sure to brown the hash browns before.
- Buttermilk Biscuits- Use canned buttermilk biscuits for a delicious buttermilk flavor.
- Flaky Biscuits - Use tube flaky biscuits for a fluffier flaky recipe. The flaky biscuits will rise to a bigger size than standard biscuits.
- Gluten free - Use gluten free biscuit dough to make this a gluten free recipe.
- Dairy free - To make this a dairy free option, substitute the cheese for vegan cheese, or don't use cheese at all. Instead of using dairy milk, use soy milk or almond milk to mix with the eggs.
- Meatless - Make this a meatless option by taking out the sausage and adding vegetables or just having egg, cheese and biscuits.
Store any leftovers in a refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
This meal also freezes well. Cut into small squares and freeze in a freezer bag or airtight plastic container. Freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw and reheat in the microwave before serving.
To reheat any leftovers, heat in a microwave, oven or air fryer.
Make this breakfast dish ahead of time, the night before or a couple hours before eating it in the morning, to save time. This recipe reheats very well in the microwave. Cut small serving size squares and reheat only what you are going to eat. Unless consuming the entire casserole, reheat in small portions.
Egg and Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- 9X13 baking pan
- 1 can buttermilk biscuits
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage cooked, drained
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper adjust to taste
- ⅔-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan
- Brown the sausage. Drain the excess fat and measure out the amount needed.
- Pop open the canned biscuits. Cut each biscuit into four equal parts. Each can usually has 8 biscuits, you will be left with 32 biscuit pieces.
- Place the biscuit pieces on the bottom of the pan, evenly spread out. Sprinkle the sausage on top of the biscuits.
- In a medium bowl, crack the eggs, and pour in milk. Whisk for 1 minute. Make sure all of the egg yolks are broken up. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top of the biscuits and sausage. The biscuit will not get soggy. See photos above for what this looks like.
- Top the casserole with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until biscuits are cooked through and egg is set.
- Serve immediately plain, or topped with your favorite hot sauce, ketchup, sausage gravy, or salsa. Or make the night before and reheat in the microwave in the morning.
- I like to make this meal the night before and have it ready to serve in the morning. This way I don't have to wake up extra early.
- Add more sausage if you have a meat lovers group. You can also use kielbasa or any other type of breakfast sausage you like.
- Make the night before to have a fun breakfast in the morning without having to wake up extra early.
- This makes a great freezer meal breakfast!