These delicious and easy, healthy Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets recipe are a homemade sensation with a crispy outside and tender center. Cornmeal Nuggets have the perfect coating to make that gluten free meal you love. This is an easy 3 ingredient recipe that is dairy free and is without eggs, cornstarch, or breadcrumbs.
This meal is perfect for both kids and adults! This homemade copy cat Chick-Fil-A chicken is better than fast food or Applegate or Tyson's! Make them as an after school snack, summer time lunch, or back to school easy dinner.
Make our Gluten Free Orange Chicken using the same idea as this recipe, or pair it with the perfect side with our air fryer Brussels Sprouts.
- Yellow Cornmeal
- Table Salt
- Ground Pepper
- Olive Oil
See recipe card for quantities.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a mixing dish.
2. Place pieces of chicken in the cornmeal mixture and coat all sides.
3. Set aside all of the cornbread coated chicken pieces until all are coated.
4. Heat olive oil on a frying pan on medium heat. Add the gluten free chicken nuggets. They can be touching but don't overlap.
5. Flip each piece of chicken over after about 3-4 minutes and cook on the other side until completely cooked through. Flip again if needed.
6. Dip these tasty cornmeal nuggets in your favorite dipping sauce like ketchup, or honey mustard. Top a salad with this gluten free meat.
Hint: Flip the chicken when the side on the pan is golden brown and crispy looking. You may need to cook small batches at a time depending on how big your frying pan is.
- Almond Flour - instead of cornmeal, use almond flour at a 1:1 ratio. The coating will vary and may not stick to the chicken as well as the cornmeal.
- Red Pepper Flakes- use red pepper flakes instead of black pepper for a spicy version.
- Baked - place coated chicken on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Depending on your oven, the time may vary.
- Air-Fryer - Cook in a preheated air fryer at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Shake basket at five minutes. Add additional time as needed.
You will need a mixing bowl and a frying pan.
Store uneaten nuggets in an air tight container for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave. For a crispy reheat, reheat in the oven or air fryer.
This meal does not freeze well.
Make sure the outside is crispy and browned before flipping the chicken. This will help give you the perfect texture you are looking for.
Homemade Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
- Saute Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine cornmeal, table salt and ground black pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Coat each piece of chicken completely in the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat a frying pan and olive oil on medium heat. Add the coated chicken pieces and cook for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is golden brown on one side.
- Flip each nugget and cook until chicken is done all the way through.
- Alternate cooking methods:
- Cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
- Or cook in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Yes! With this step by step recipe you can make your own healthy and gluten free chicken nuggets.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
My family loved these nuggets. I doubled the batch and added them to their school lunches. It worked perfectly!
My family loves making this easy gluten free chicken nugget recipe. I loved the cornmeal coating and that it was egg and dairy free. Such a winner recipe.
This is the perfect way to enjoy chicken nuggets that are gluten free! We all loved them!
I always struggle to find a gluten free recipe for chicken nuggets and was delighted to come across this blog. Absolutely amazing and can't wait to make these again!
My kids loved this healthy version of chicken nuggets. I also loved how easy it was to make!
These gluten free chicken nuggets are so crispy on the outside and nice and tender on the inside. My whole family loved them!