If you like caramel-y oatmeal-y goodness then these are the cookie bars for you! These Oatmeal Toffee Cookie Bars have been a favorite in my family since I was little. As they bake, the house fills with the smell of butter and sugar and takes me back to when I was little. I remember sitting at the stool next to the counter and anxiously waiting for them to come out of the oven. My dad loves these bars too, and we definitely enjoyed them together. They taste like toffee, but in a soft and chewy cookie form. My favorite way to eat them is with vanilla ice cream and homemade caramel sauce. It tastes a lot like the Salted Caramel Blondie Ice cream from Ben and Jerry's and it. is. heaven!
They are super easy to make and are made like normal cookies.
First, beat the sugar and butter together until well combined. I use dark brown sugar. You can use light brown sugar, but dark brown just gives it even more of a carmel-y delicious taste. Next, add the vanilla and eggs and beat on high until the mixture lightens in texture and becomes fluffy and looks almost silky, about 1 minute.
Then add the dry ingredients just until combined and pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake.
I like to check mine starting at 22 minutes. As soon as the top turns matte, they are done! Do not over bake or they will be dry and crumbly instead of soft and chewy. Then welcome to Oatmeal Toffee Bars heaven. It's hard not stay until they're all gone.
Another option: Make with browned butter! Make as directed above, but brown the butter first. To brown the butter: Simply place in a sauce pan over medium heat until the butter starts foaming and turning brown. This takes about 5-7 minutes. This gives the bars a nutty, more toffee type taste instead of the caramel-y taste!
Oatmeal Toffee Cookie Bars
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups dark brown sugar light brown is fine too, but dark brown takes it to the next level
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats- I use old fashioned but quick work just as well
- ****There is no typo. NO baking soda or baking powder go in these****
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat softened butter with sugar on high until fluffy. About 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat on high until the mixture just starts to lighten in color. About a minute. Add flour and salt (I like to sprinkle the salt across the flour so it doesn't clump into one spot) and mix until just barely combined. Add oats and mix until just barely combined.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan and spread mixture across the pan evenly. Bake for 22-30 minutes. As soon as the top turns matte, it's done!