These homemade Chicken Tinga Tostadas are delicious tostadas de pollo (chicken) in a Tinga sauce. The flavor is unreal and these will be your new go to tostada recipe! Easily customizable, they are perfect for a crowd or picky eaters.
Tostadas Mexicanos are popular year round. We love these Tostadas de Tinga made from chicken when we are feeding a crowd. We'll double or triple the recipe and just lay all the toppings out buffet style and people can take what they want and customize them as they please.
This was inspired by our Jerk Chicken Tacos , and pairs well with this Creamy Lemonade and Cilantro Lime Guacamole.
- cooking oil- I used avocado
- minced or fresh garlic
- diced tomatoes
- lime juice
- chipotles in adobo
- chicken broth
- shredded chicken
- toppings of your choosing such as cotija cheese, salsa, shredded lettuce, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, sour cream, hot sauce or avocadoes.
See recipe card for quantities.
1. Thinly slice onions. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Make the tinga sauce: Blend chipotles, diced tomatoes and lime juice in a blender on high speed until well blended.
3. Pour tinga sauce onto onions and add the salt. Stir to combine.
4. Add shredded chicken and stir to combine. Add chicken broth to thin the mixture until desired thickness is achieved (I usually use around ¼ cup, but it can vary). Heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
5. Assemble! Place tinga de pollo (chicken) on a tostada shell, then desired toppings. Our favorites are avocado, cilantro, sour cream, shredded lettuce, cotija cheese and green salsa. You can also try coconut, fresh tomatoes or another type of cheese.
Hint: You can use any shredded chicken. If you have leftover rotisserie chicken, this will work great with that, it works with canned chicken (though might not taste quite as good, and if using canned, skip the salt in the recipe) or just chicken that has been boiled and shredded.
- Lime - we highly recommend lime juice, but if you're in a pinch, lemon juice will be fine too!
- Cotija - use any type of cheese instead! We love the flavor of cotija with tinga, but any mexican cheese blend or even cheddar cheese also taste great.
- Vegetarian - The chicken can be replaced with 3-4 cups beans such as black beans or chickpeas. You can also add more veggies when cooking the onion such as zucchini, bell peppers, or green beans. Add those in after the onions have already cooked about 3 minutes, then cook until softened.
- Chicken - feel free to substitute canned chicken, but if using canned skip the salt when making this recipe!
- Tostadas de Camaron or Shrimp Tostadas - substitute 2 pounds of cooked shrimp for the chicken for an AMAZING variation.
- Tostadas horneados or Baked Tostados - Assemble the tostadas and top with a generous amount of cheese, then bake in the oven at 350* for 8 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Tostadas de carne molida or Ground Beef Tostadas - Substitute 2 pounds of cooked and drained ground beef for the chicken. Skip the broth.
- Deluxe- Add ½ teaspoon cumin and ½ teaspoon oregano at the same time as the salt and mix in for an even stronger tinga flavor!
We recommend not assembling Tostadas de Tinga until ready to eat. Store the ingredients separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The tinga de polla (chicken) can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours ahead of time before using.
A corn tostada is deep fried then topped with ground beef, chicken, pork or other meat then additional toppings such as cheese, lettuce, cilantro, and avocados. We love Tinga Tostadas the most!
Tostadas are messy! Simply pick up the tostada with all it's toppings and take a bite! As toppings fall off, you may put them back on top or eat them with a fork.
Tostadas are easy to make healthy. Simply use fresh, healthy ingredients as your toppings and it can be a well balanced meal with lots of protein and vegetables.
Start with your protein (we recommend Tinga Chicken) and place it on the tostada, then top with all your favorite toppings such as shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream, avocado and cilantro.
Tostadas de Tinga
- 12 Tostadas
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic or 3 fresh garlic cloves
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 chipotles in Adobo plus 2 Tablespoons of the sauce
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 3 large chicken breasts about 1 ½- 2 pounds, cooked and shredded
- up to ½ cup chicken broth
- Toppings all optional
- shredded lettuce
- fresh cilantro
- fresh tomatoes
- salsa green or red- we prefer green on these
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- cotija or other cheese
- beans of choice
- Thinly slice onions. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic to hot oil and saute until onions soften and turn translucent, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While those cook, make the tinga sauce. Place chipotles, diced tomatoes, and lime juice in a blender. Blend on high until well blended.
- Add the tinga sauce to the onions. Add salt then stir to combine. Add chicken and stir to combine. Add chicken broth until desired consistency is reached. The chicken absorbs quite a bit of moisture and we like ours saucy. I usually add about ¼ cup or so.
- Assemble tostadas by placing the meat mixture on the tostada then adding your favorite toppings!
- Store tostadas unassembled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Tinga de pollo can be stored in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Ohhh these tostadas de tinga de pollo are absolutely delicious! I can't believe how easy they were to make, everyone loved them!
I love these tinga tostadas, so flavorful and simple to make! I definitely have to try out the variation with the shrimp, that sounds absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the recipe!
This chicken tinga has so much unbelievable flavor in them! The perfect topping for tostadas.
Definitely perfect for feeding a crowd! The chicken tinga is absolutely amazing and I love all those flavors. Best tostadas!
I made these with jackfruit and they came out amazing. Will definitely make again. Tinga tostadas for the win!