Need a festive appetizer or side dish for Christmas? This Asparagus Wrapped in Puff Pastry with brie and cranberry jam will fit the bill! With the flaky puff pastry, creamy goodness of brie, punch of cranberry and delicious freshness of asparagus, these hit the spot and are stunning!
Asparagus is so great in the wintertime and this is perfect for the season. With it's festive colors and cranberry jam it has holiday vibes and would be a great appetizer or hors d'oeuvres at a party. Or maybe you're just looking for more healthy Christmas appetizers or some easy finger foods for Christmas.
Make your Christmas perfect by starting with a breakfast of eggnog french toast. Then have this asparagus wrapped in puff pastry and the best dinner rolls ever with your dinner and a show stopping dessert of white chocolate cranberry cheesecake. For other asparagus recipes, check out our Air Fryer Asparagus.
- puff pastry, thawed
- cranberry jam
- beaten egg
- sea salt
See recipe card for quantities.
First, make the cranberry jam. Place the cranberries, sugar and water in a small saucepan.
Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil 5-10 minutes, until the cranberries have burst.
Roll out the pastry sheets and cut each one into 4 squares, for a total of 8 squares.
Cut the brie into 8- 1 oz pieces. Place a piece of brie on each square.
Add the asparagus then cranberry sauce.
Top with a pinch of rosemary and a pinch of sea salt
Wrap up the asparagus.
Hint: when wrapping the bunch, use a damp finger to moisten the puff pastry where it meets during wrapping for a good seal. Most puff pastry has too much flour on it to stick to itself.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and coat the pastry with the beaten egg.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Spicy - add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little kick
- Cheese- we taste tested this with a few different cheeses and cream cheese was also really good!
- Spices- this also tastes delicious with thyme.
- Jams- try switching out the jam for a different flavor for a fun twist.
- Note- in our testing, we tried these in many variations with regular cranberries and do Not recommend using them. The bitterness of the cranberries enhanced the slight bitterness of the asparagus and it wasn't palatable.
These are best eaten fresh, but can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer.
It is not recommended to freeze these.
Try to find skinny asparagus spears. The texture makes them easier to eat and the flavor is a little better.
Make sure these are baked long enough! A lot of baked goods like cookies are amazing slightly underdone, but these should be a deep golden brown for the best flaky non-gooey pastry.
Asparagus Wrapped in Puff Pastry
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 bunch asparagus rinsed and dried
- 8 oz brie or cream cheese cut into 8 slices
- ½ cup cranberry jam
- 1 cup about 3 oz cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon dried Rosemary or 3 Tablespoons fresh
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg beaten
- Make the cranberry jam
- Simply place the cranberries, sugar and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium high, stirring occasionally and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir constantly and boil until the berries pop. Remove from unit.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Roll out the sheets of puff pastry, then cut each sheet into 4 squares.
- Place a piece of brie in the center of each square, on the diagonal.
- Top with ⅛ of the asparagus, about 1 Tablespoon of cranberry jam, a pinch of rosemary and a pinch of salt.
- Wrap up the asparagus into a bundle with the puff pastry. Dampen the parts of the pastry that overlap and are touching each other to get them to stick to each other.
- Place bundles on a parchment lined baking sheet. Generously brush beaten egg over the puff pastry.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until they turn a deep golden and get puffy.
Holy cow these were delicious! They look so fancy and fun. We made these when we had some friends over for dinner and everyone loved them. Great recipe.