Get ready to up family dinner night with this week night winner, Big Mac Sloppy Joes! Inspired by McDonald's Big Mac secret sauce, this copycat one pot meal is ready in 30 minutes. We love this easy homemade twist on the classic sloppy joe.
Have your favorite taste of onions, and pickles on a sesame seed bun at the comfort of your home. A fun copycat Mcdonald's meal that brings fast food home with ingredients you can trust. This meal is a perfect weekday meal for any busy night. It comes together so fast we've added it to our last minute dinner ideas
These other 30 minutes or less meals are quick and easy and perfect for any busy weeknight. Try our rattlesnake pasta, air fryer pierogie and kielbasa, and Tater Tot Casserole. Serve these up with our Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks.
We tried hard to replicate the original Big Mac as best as possible. With this ingredient list, we've even added the secret sauce you love.
- Ground Beef- Use a lean ground beef with less fat for a better cooking experience.
- Yellow Onion- You don't saute the onion like most ground beef recipes. This makes the onion just like you would find on the original sandwich.
- Dill Pickles- The added dill pickles makes the Sloppy Joe Recipe stand out. It adds a unique taste and a great texture.
- Thousand Island Dressing and Mayonnaise- While we don't have the exact formula for mac sauce, the combo of these two ingredients is pretty close. It tastes great!
- Cheddar Cheese- Though not originally part of Mcdonald's big mac, this Joe Recipe is enhanced by the cheddar cheese taste. It really brings the other ingredients together.
- Sesame Seed Bun- This is a staple to make this a true copycat Big Mac recipe. It adds to the look and the even the taste!
- Ice Burg Lettuce- I usually prefer romaine lettuce, but for this meal Ice Burg Lettuce completes the look and taste.
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Big Mac Sloppy Joes
This is a great 30-minute meal. Use these step-by-step photos for best results.
- In a large skillet, on medium heat, cook the ground beef until completely cooked through (there should be no pink). As the meat cooks break into smaller pieces. Turn heat to low. Add in chopped dill pickles and yellow onion.
2. Mix together the thousand island dressing and mayo to make the copycat McDonald's secret sauce.
5. Mix in the thousand island dressing mixture into the ground beef, onion , and pickle mixture. Stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir in shredded cheese. Mix until cheese is completely melted.
5. Prepare a sesame seed bun, toasted or not, with shredded ice burg lettuce. On the bottom bun, add copy cat big mac ground beef mixture.
Hint: Have all ingredients chopped and ready to go before cooking the ground beef. Once the ground beef is cooked, each step goes quickly!
- Bun - use gluten free buns instead of white bread buns to make this gluten free
- Vegetarian - the ground beef can be replaced with a plant-based burger to make this vegetarian
- Ground Turkey- use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Ground Chicken - use ground chicken instead of ground beef.
- Onion - instead of yellow onion, you can use purple onion or white onion.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking ground beef.
- Deluxe - add pickles, avocado, or a cheese slice on top of the sloppy joe mixture.
Or try a fun taco variation, Big Mac Smash Tacos.
What I Love About This Recipe
This is a quick and easy weeknight meal. We don't go out to eat often so it's really fun to be able to make a copycat meal, but also keep it affordable and delicious. It's also a family favorite making it easy to add to the dinner menu rotation.
Storing Big Mac Sloppy Joes
Store the lettuce and buns separately from the sloppy joe mixture in the fridge, and recombine when ready. Good for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
This meal is fun and easy to make! It comes together super quick so it's important to have all the ingredients pre-chopped and ready to go. It's much easier to assemble when everything is prepped.
Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- ¾ cup Yellow Onion diced
- ½ cup Dill Pickles diced
- ½ cup Thousand Island Dressing
- ¼ cup Mayonaise
- 1 teaspoon Table Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Sesame Seed Buns
- 2 cups Ice Burg Lettuce
- In a large skillet, on medium heat, cook the ground beef until completely cooked through (there should be no pink). As the meat cooks break into smaller pieces.
- Turn heat to low. Add diced dill pickles and yellow onion. Stir the diced pickles and yellow onions into the ground beef mixture to make it evenly mixed.
- Mix together the thousand island dressing and mayo to make the copycat McDonald's secret sauce.
- Mix in the thousand island dressing mixture into the ground beef, onion , and pickle mixture. Stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in shredded cheese. Mix until cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Prepare a sesame seed bun, toasted or not, with shredded ice burg lettuce. On the bottom bun, add copy cat big mac mixture.
- Prep the vegetables before cooking the ground beef. The whole cooking process goes quickly once started.
- You can use just A Thousand Island dressing but combining it with the mayonnaise tastes really great.
- Use ground turkey instead of ground beef for a leaner meat.
- Use a gluten free bun to make it a gluten free meal.