Coming in hot with the best copycat Chick-Fil-A Peppermint Chip Milkshake made with peppermint extract, white and milk chocolate chips and candy canes. This homemade peppermint bark inspired treat has all the festive flavor and is made from scratch. Brighten up the holidays with this sweet treat.
Chick-Fil-A features this amazing shake every year during the Christmas holiday seasoning. It's most popular year was in 2021, this shake is back in 2022. Better yet, you can make this delicious copycat peppermint milkshake in the comfort of your home.
No matter how far away you live from the nearest restaurant, you can make this right at home!
Try our other festive ice cream treats! Eggnog Milkshake
Be sure to check out our other fun Christmas peppermint treats like peppermint syrup, peppermint brownies, Christmas Chex mix, and Christmas Rice Krispie Treats.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick & Easy- once you gather your ingredients, this shake is made in no time at all!
- Kid Friendly - my family absolutely loves this Christmas dessert. Kids love the flavors of peppermint and chocolate.
- Festive - A fun festive recipe to make during the month of December. Or enjoy the taste of the holidays year round, especially when you can't buy this tasty shake.
- Inexpensive- Instead of going out to buy a single ice cream treat at a restaurant, make this for the whole family at a fraction of the cost.
- Party Friendly - make this for a small group of friends or family party to add an original treat to a fun night.
- Ice Cream Treat- This is a fun recipe to break away from the traditional cookies and sweet treats and try a fun ice cream treat.
- Vanilla Ice Cream- There are so many types of vanilla ice cream, and they all work perfectly with this recipe.
- Peppermint Extract- use pure peppermint extract. Make sure that it is not mint extract as the flavor differs. This is a fun holiday staple to have in the pantry to add to cookie dough, frostings, and dipping chocolates.
- Peppermint Candy Canes- crushed candy canes add the perfect sweet and minty flavor to the recipe.
- Milk Chocolate Chips-adding milk chocolate to this tasty treat captures the delicious taste of the delicious Ghirardelli peppermint bark.
- White Chocolate Chips-This helps add variety to the shake and cap off the right copycat taste.
- Milk- You can use any percent of milk. If you like you milkshakes on the thicker side add a little milk at a time. If you want a runnier shake, be sure to add more milk than the recipe asks for.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Start by putting vanilla ice cream and crushed peppermint candy canes in a high speed blender.
2. Next add both the white chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips to the blender with the vanilla ice cream.
3. Pour in the pure peppermint extract over the ice cream and chocolate chips.
4.Pour milk over all the ingredients and secure the blender lid.
5. Blend the ingredients until a smooth mixture forms and the chocolate chips are broken up and dispersed amongst the mixture. Blend longer if you want a smoother shake with smaller chocolate chunks.
6. Pour the drink into individual cups and top with whipped cream and additional crushed candy cane.
Hint: the thicker the peppermint bark milkshake, the easier the chocolate chunks will stay throughout the treat. If it is on the runnier side, the chocolate will sink to the bottom of the glass.
This sweet treat is naturally gluten free. Be sure to use these substitutions in order to make this a personalized dessert.
- Dairy Free - use your favorite dairy free and lactose free ice cream and milk at a 1:1 ratio. The texture my differ depending on the texture of the substitutes used.
- Almond Bark- For a dairy free and lactose free chocolate option, use broken up pieces of white and milk chocolate almond bark.
- Peppermint Bark - instead of using milk chocolate and white chocolate chips, you can use crushed up Ghirardelli Peppermint bark.
- Dark Chocolate- substitute dark chocolate chips for milk chocolate chips for a richer taste.
Use this list to add variety to your shake and make it your own!
- Double the peppermint- double the peppermint extract to make it extra minty.
- Deluxe - top the shake with whipped cream and crushed candy canes.
- Peppermint Ice Cream - instead of vanilla ice cream use your favorite peppermint ice cream.
- Chocolate Ice Cream-use chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream at 1:1 ratio. This make for an extra mint chocolate experience.
- Maraschino Cherry- Top with a maraschino cherry just like you would get at your favorite local restaurant.
- Whipped Cream- Top with a generous helping of whipping cream to get that creamy taste you love.
- Blizzard Style- If you want a thick blizzard style treat, follow the recipe as stated except take out the milk. It will make a thick holiday dessert. Mix with a stand mixer instead of a blender.
Using the right equipment can make a big difference on how a recipe turns out. Be sure to use the items listed below for the best results.
- High Speed Blender- if making a single serving you can use a small single serving blender like a bullet. When making for more than one, we love using our Ninja high speed blender.
- Glasses or Cups- It's fun to serve this drink in glass cups to have a fun look.
Serve uneaten shake in an airtight container or freezer ziplock bag in the freezer for up to two months. When stored in the freezer, it will harden. You likely will not have the same texture as the original recipe.
To eat after it is frozen, let thaw and then put it back in the blender to have the same shake texture as before.
For a fun frozen treat, put the leftover dessert in popsicle molds and then let freeze. Enjoy an ice cream peppermint popsicle once fully frozen.
This shake is best when the chocolate and peppermint chunks are throughout the drink. In order to do this, it needs to be on the thicker side. Less milk will help keep a thick consistency and a well blended treat.
Chick Fil-a Peppermint Chip Milkshake
- High Speed Blender
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes crushed
- ½ cup milk use whole milk for the creamiest texture
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- whipping cream optional
- Unwrap and crush the candy cane in a ziplock bag into tiny pieces.
- Add ice cream, peppermint extract, milk and white chocolate chips, and crushed candy cane to a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth. The longer you blend the smaller the chocolate chunks will be. Blend to your preference.
- Pour the shake into different glasses for serving. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with more crushed candy cane.
- Serve immediately.
- You can use less milk and white chocolate chips for a less chocolaty shake. Try using 2 tablespoons of each instead of ¼ cup.
We absolutely love this copy cat peppermint milkshake. We are huge Chick-Fil-A fans but don't live close to one so this recipe was a perfect substitute. It captured the taste of peppermint bark perfectly!
I didn’t get a chance to go to Chick Fil A in December to get a shake but this was an amazing substitute. My hubby loves mint desserts and loved this one. Definitely will be making again