Time to pair your favorite holiday drink with creamy vanilla ice cream to make this super simple Eggnog Milkshake recipe. Ready in 5 minutes, this go-to festive custard treat is bursting with creamy cinnamon flavor. My family begs me to make this every Christmas season.
Perfect for family time during the Christmas season, make this fun shake to spice up your favorite eggnog drink. Just like you've had it at McDonald's, Cook Out, or even Steak and Shake, this homemade copycat recipe is a crowd pleaser
My family has a love for all things eggnog. If you do too, you have to try our Eggnog French toast. It makes the best quick and easy holiday breakfast.
This is a simple recipe you don't want to miss! It's made with only 3 ingredients.
- Vanilla Ice Cream- The base of this milkshake is vanilla ice cream. You can use any variety of vanilla ice cream, You can even use dairy free/lactate free ice cream in order to fit specific dietary needs. I love to use creamy brands like Tillamook.
- Eggnog-use traditional eggnog for a traditional sweet custard taste. You can spice things up by using fun varieties like pumpkin pie, gingerbread, sugar cookie, or even cinnamon fireball. My family's favorite is Southern Comfort.
- Ground Cinnamon- While this is an optional ingredient, it adds the perfect holiday taste to this tasty shake. If your egg nog already has a cinnamon flavor, you don't need to add this ingredient. But I love the extra cinnamon flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Eggnog Milkshake
Use the photos below to make this simple holiday milkshake. It's even one kids can help with.
- Start by putting vanilla ice cream in a high speed blender.
2. Pour in you favorite flavor and brand of eggnog into the blender.
3. Next sprinkle the ground cinnamon over the vanilla ice cream and eggnog.
4.Secure the blender lid and blend until smooth and well mixed. It should have a smooth consistency.
5. Pour the eggnog milkshake into individual glasses and make them extra special by topping with whipped cream and sprinkle ground cinnamon over the top.
Hint: If you want a thicker shake, don't use as much eggnog. Note that if you use less liquid then you won't have as strong of a flavor.
This is a naturally gluten free holiday and Christmas dessert. Read below to see ways you can make this dairy free or vegan.
- Dairy Free - use your favorite dairy free and lactose free ice cream instead of traditional vanilla ice cream. There are also several Dairy Free Eggnog options such as Silk, Almond Breeze, SO delicious, and Lactaid.
- Vegan- There are many vegan ice cream and eggnog options that can be used as a substitute at a 1:1 ratio.
- Eggnog Brands - everyone has the very favorite brand of Eggnog. Here are a few options that you can choose from when making this recipe. Horizon Organic, Southern Comfort, Turkey Hill, and Dairy Gold are some of the top brands.
- Eggnog Varieties- instead of making a traditional Eggnog Milkshake, mix the flavor up by using different varieties like Pumpkin Pie, Sugar Cookie, Cinnamon Fireball, and Gingerbread.
Storing Eggnog Milkshake
Serve uneaten shake in an airtight container or freezer ziplock bag for 1-2 months. When frozen the consistency will become very hard. You can either eat it frozen or you can thaw and try to re-blend.
If you want a similar texture, scoop the frozen drink out of the container and put in the blender. Thaw slightly to make it easier to work with. Blend in the blend until smooth.
Put the extra drink in a popsicle mold and freeze to make eggnog popsicles. Yum!
When serving, to better help keep the a thicker consistency, freeze the glass cups beforehand. That way you pour the drink into a cold cup and it will melt at a slower rate.
If you want the drink runnier, add an extra ¼-1/3 cup of liquid at a time until you get the consistency that you want. The less eggnog you use the thicker the shake will be. But remember you'll start to lose the eggnog flavor the less you use.
- 2 cup vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup eggnog use your favorite flavor and variety
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a high speed blender, add vanilla ice cream ,eggnog, and ground cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve in the individual glasses. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Use more eggnog for a stronger flavor but also for a runnier milkshake.
- Eggnog Ice Cream- for an extra flavorful experience use eggnog ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream at a 1:1 ratio.
- Deluxe - top the shake with whipped cream and sprinkle with ground cinnamon for an extra special look.
- Fireball Flavor - use fireball eggnog for a tasty variation.
- Chocolate Ice Cream-use chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream at 1:1 ratio to add a chocolate taste.
- Maraschino Cherry- Make it a special treat by adding a maraschino cherry on top for appearance.
- Whipped Cream-We are big whipped creamy fans over here and adding whipped cream gives this treat an extra creamy taste.
- Kid Friendly - this is a fan favorite with kids. Eggnog can sometimes have a really strong taste, but when paired with creamy vanilla ice cream, it makes this delicious holiday treat have a sweet custard taste.