Get ready for a cozy and creamy drink recipe perfect for the fall and winter seasons, Oat Milk Hot Chocolate is the perfect vegan holiday mix. This plant-based hot drink, made with simple ingredients, is sweetened with pure maple syrup and a dash of vanilla. Homemade and tasty, you can't go wrong with this heartwarming cup.
This hot drink is perfect for the holiday season. Whether you're ready for a hot cup during the Thanksgiving or Christmas Season, or ringing in the New Year with new resolutions, this recipe is for you.
This hot drink can be made on the stove top or in the microwave.
Try our other holiday inspired drink like, Eggnog Milkshake or Chick Fil-A Peppermint Chip Milkshake.
Looking for other plant-based drinks, try our Pink Latte, Oat Milk Smoothie. Perfect for trying a new healthy vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, or simply in need of a dairy free solution.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick & Easy- this drink is quick and easy to make. It's ready to drink in less than 5 minutes if preparing in the microwave, and less than 10 minutes if making by stovetop.
- Kid Friendly - This is a great recipe for kids. Especially if you have a child with allergies that are found in traditional hot chocolate.
- Festive - A great way to spread warmth during the winter holiday months.
- Dairy free- Unlike other traditional recipes, this is a great dairy free option that still taste smooth and creamy.
- Add to hot chocolate bar-this fun variation of a favorite recipe can add variety to any hot chocolate bar. An accommodating addition for those with allergies.
- Versatile-You can make this hot drink a fun flavor by adding in peppermint syrup, caramel, whipped cream, vanilla, or cinnamon.
- Low sugar- because it uses pure maple syrup and cocoa powder, this is a great low/natural sugar option.
- Oat Milk- For this recipe we used Extra Creamy Chobani Oat Milk to have an extra creamy taste and consistency. You can use any brand you prefer.
- Cocoa Powder - Baking cocoa powder is great for this drink. You can use extra dark, for a more bitter taste depending on taste preferences.
- Pure Maple Syrup- We used pure maple syrup to sweeten this drink. If you don't have pure maple syrup, look to our variation to see different way to sweeten your hot chocolate drink.
- Vanilla Extract- Pure vanilla extract or imitation vanilla both work for this drink mix.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Begin by pouring oat milk into a microwave safe mug. Microwave for 1 minute and then at 30 second intervals until your desired temperature.
2. Once heated, add the cocoa powder to the mug of oat milk.
3. Pour in the maple syrup. For a sweeter drink, you may want to add more syrup than what the recipe calls for.
4. Then add the vanilla extract to give your drink an extra flavor boost.
5. Mix your drink with a spoon or whisk.
6. Add in extra cream, peppermint syrup, or top with whipped cream to make it your own style.
Hint: The cocoa powder is difficult to combine with the oat milk and may take some time stirring. Use a hand frother or immersion blender to help mix together.
Make Oat Milk Hot Chocolate your own, or change an ingredient based on what you have at home. This list of ideas will help you have a great drink to fit you or someone you knows dietary needs.
- Chocolate chips- Instead of cocoa powder, you can place 1-2 tablespoon into the hot milk. You may need to heat the milk a little longer than normal to help the chocolate chips melt.
- Chocolate syrup- use 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup. To keep this drink dairy free and vegan, be sure to use non dairy, and vegan chocolate syrup.
- Maple syrup- We use maple syrup to sweeten this cozy winter drink. Add a ½ tablespoon extra at a time to sweeten to your liking.
- Brown sugar- Use ½ tablespoon instead of syrup to sweeten. Add ½ tablespoon at a time until the desired sweetness.
- White sugar- Use ½ tablespoon of granulated white sugar instead of pure maple syrup. Add a little at a time to find the perfect sweetness.
- Honey- Sweetened this Oat Milk Hot Chocolate with honey instead of maple syrup to keep using a natural sweetener. Use 1 tablespoon and then add ½ tablespoon (or less) at a time until the desired taste.
- Sugar Free-Use sugar substitute like stevia to sweeten this drink.
- Coconut Sugar-Use 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar instead of maple syrup. Adjust depending on how sweet you want it.
- Brown Sugar Syrup - Use 1 ½ Tablespoons of our Brown Sugar Syrup to sweeten it.
- Caramel Syrup - substitute the maple syrup for Caramel Syrup as a sweetener.
This is a naturally vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free drink before any substitutions are made.
Have fun adding extra flavor, or making it more fitting for the holiday season with these fun variations.
- Marshmallows- Add marshmallows to the top for a creamy sweet taste.
- Vegan marshmallow- Wanting to keep this a vegan drink, be sure to use vegan marshmallows either store bought or homemade!
- Whipped cream- Top with whipped cream for an extra creamy taste.
- Coconut whipped cream- use dairy free whipped cream like coconut milk whipped cream.
- Cayenne- Mexican hot chocolate- Put ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper for a spicy version of this drink. Add more if you want to take it up a notch.
- Peppermint Syrup-Add peppermint syrup to make a holiday Christmas drink. Make our homemade version.
To have the best experience with this recipe you will need the following items.
- Mug- a mug that can hold around 2 cups of liquid and is made to withstand high heat. One that is microwave safe.
- Hand Frother- Mixing the oat milk and coco powder is difficult. Using a hand frother will help mix the drink more quickly than a spoon or whisk. You can also use a small blender, or immersion blender, or an espresso machine.
This hot drink is best drank when it is made. If there are any leftovers, put in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
You can add the mixed liquid to a popsicle mold or ice cube tray for a dairy free cold hot chocolate treat.
Oat Milk and cocoa powder are difficult to mix together. Using a whisk to mix this hot drink or even a hand frother can be produce better, quicker results as opposed to a spoon.
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- 1 Mug
- 1 hand frother optional
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add 1 cup of oat milk to a microwave safe mug. Microwave for 1 minute and then in 30 second intervals until your preferred temperature.
- Add cocoa powder, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the warmed milk.
- Mix with a spoon or whisk. Oat milk and cocoa powder is difficult to mix together, using a hand frother will help mix the drink faster and more efficiently.
- Heat the oat milk in a small saucepan on medium heat. Let simmer for 2 minutes while constantly stirring to avoid scorching.
- Pour into a mug and follow the steps 2 and 3 above
- Use a different sweetener than maple syrup such as honey, brown sugar, coconut sugar or granulated white sugar.
- Add in cinnamon, peppermint syrup, or caramel to make this a fun festive drink.
We sometimes take for a granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience, that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
This reminds me so much of Starbucks Oat Milk Hot Chocolate. It has a great creamy consistency and tastes amazing for a copycat. I love all the variations in order to sweeten it.