We love this cozy and creamy Oat Milk Hot Chocolate. This family recipe makes the perfect plant-based hot drink, made with simple ingredients. Sweetened with pure maple syrup and a touch of vanilla, you'll love this drink!
This vegan hot drink is perfect for the holiday season. This recipe is for you whether you're ready for a hot cup during the Thanksgiving or Christmas Season, or ringing in the New Year.
This recipe only uses simple ingredients. It's a great way to have a dairy-free holiday drink.
- Oat Milk- For this recipe we used Extra Creamy Chobani Oat Milk to have an extra creamy taste and consistency. You can use any brand you prefer.
- Cocoa Powder - Baking cocoa powder is great for this drink. You can use extra dark, for a more bitter taste depending on taste preferences.
- Pure Maple Syrup- We used pure maple syrup as a sweetener. If you don't have pure maple syrup, you can use honey, sugar, or a simple syrup.
- Vanilla Extract- Pure vanilla extract or imitation vanilla both work for this drink mix.
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
This simple ingredient hot drink comes together in no time at all. Follow these step by step instructions and be sure to follow our must do tips!
- Begin by pouring oat milk into a microwave safe mug. Microwave for 1 minute and then at 30 second intervals until your desired temperature.
2. Once heated, add the cocoa powder to the mug of oat milk. Pour in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. For a sweeter drink, you may want to add more syrup than what the recipe calls for.
6. Mix your drink with a hand frother. You can use a spoon or whisk, but it takes longer for the oat milk and powder to mix properly.
6. Add in extra cream, or peppermint syrup, or top with whipped cream to make it your own.
Hint: The cocoa powder is difficult to combine with the oat milk and may take some time stirring. Use a hand frother or immersion blender to help mix together.
This is a naturally vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free drink before any substitutions are made.
- Chocolate chips- Instead of cocoa powder, you can place 1-2 tablespoon into the hot milk. You may need to heat the milk a little longer than normal to help the chocolate chips melt.
- Brown Sugar Syrup - Use 1 ½ Tablespoons of our Brown Sugar Syrup to sweeten it.
- Caramel Syrup - substitute the maple syrup for Caramel Syrup as a sweetener.
- Peppermint Syrup-Add peppermint syrup to make a holiday Christmas drink. Make our homemade version.
This drink is fun to mix up the flavors and enjoy your style. We love adding simple syrups to sweeten and add flavor like Brown sugar, Caramel, and Peppermint syrup.
I've made it both on the stovetop and the microwave with no problems. It taste great using either cook method.
Storing Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
This hot drink is best drank when it is made. If there are any leftovers, put in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
You can add the mixed liquid to a popsicle mold or ice cube tray for a dairy free cold hot chocolate treat.
The first time I made this I couldn't get the oat milk and cocoa powder to combine. It took a lot of effort. Then, I tried using my hand frother and it made a hige difference. Using a hand frother will help mix the drink more quickly than a spoon or whisk. You can also use a small blender, or immersion blender, or an espresso machine.
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add 1 cup of oat milk to a microwave safe mug. Microwave for 1 minute and then in 30 second intervals until your preferred temperature.
- Add cocoa powder, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the warmed milk.
- Mix with a spoon or whisk. Oat milk and cocoa powder is difficult to mix together, using a hand frother will help mix the drink faster and more efficiently.
- Heat the oat milk in a small saucepan on medium heat. Let simmer for 2 minutes while constantly stirring to avoid scorching.
- Pour into a mug and follow the steps 2 and 3 above
- Add in cinnamon, peppermint syrup, or caramel to make this a fun festive drink.
- Chocolate syrup- use 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup. To keep this drink dairy free and vegan, be sure to use non dairy, and vegan chocolate syrup.
- Brown sugar- Use ½ tablespoon instead of syrup to sweeten. Add ½ tablespoon at a time until the desired sweetness.
- White sugar- Use ½ tablespoon of granulated white sugar instead of pure maple syrup. Add a little at a time to find the perfect sweetness.
- Honey- Sweetened this Oat Milk Hot Chocolate with honey instead of maple syrup to keep using a natural sweetener. Use 1 tablespoon and then add ½ tablespoon (or less) at a time until the desired taste.
- Sugar Free-Use sugar substitute like stevia to sweeten this drink.
- Coconut Sugar-Use 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar instead of maple syrup. Adjust depending on how sweet you want it.
- Maple syrup- We use maple syrup to sweeten this cozy winter drink. Add a ½ tablespoon extra at a time to sweeten to your liking.
- Marshmallows- Add marshmallows to the top for a creamy sweet taste.
- Whipped cream- Top with whipped cream for an extra creamy taste.
- Coconut whipped cream- use dairy free whipped cream like coconut milk whipped cream.
- Cayenne- Mexican hot chocolate- Put ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper for a spicy version of this drink. Add more if you want to take it up a notch.
- Vegan marshmallow- Wanting to keep this a vegan drink, be sure to use vegan marshmallows either store-bought or homemade!