This homemade Pink Latte recipe is a smooth vegan latte made with beetroot powder instead of espresso. Steamed milk is mixed with the powder, almond milk, a little sweetener and vanilla. It's caffeine-free yet energizing and a great way to get your blood flowing. Beet powder is lower in sugar than beets and has an earthy flavor that goes well with the vanilla and slight nutty flavor of the almond milk.
Is it good for you?
Yes! Beets are a "superfood" and are great for cardiovascular and blood health. They are packed with antioxidants and vitamins. I find this to be a great way to have lasting energy without caffeine and a caffeine crash.
Can I add coffee?
Yes! Add a shot of coffee or espresso right after adding the milk and mix. Follow the rest of the directions as directed.
- plain, unsweetened almond milk
- beetroot powder
- maple syrup or honey
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat up the almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add beetroot powder to the bottom of a 12 oz. or larger mug.
As the milk starts to steam, stir more frequently. You want the milk to be nice and steamy here.
When the milk is nice and steamy, pour about ½- ⅔ of it into the mug. Add the syrup and vanilla and mix.
Now froth the remaining milk. Use an espresso machine or hand frother. If using a hand frother: Tilt the saucepan to the side and use as directed. Keep the frother towards the bottom and move it back and forth for about 30 seconds.
Dump the frothed milk into the mug and serve immediately.
Sprinkle a little beetroot powder on top, if desired. Enjoy your pink latte!
Hint: almond milk generally froths pretty well. We tried the three most popular brands: Silk, Almond Breeze and Califia Farms. We found the Silk and Almond Breeze frothed up much better and higher than the Califia Farms
- Maple syrup - instead of maple syrup or honey, feel free to add stevia drops
- Oat - feel free to use oat milk instead of almond milk- it actually froths even better!
- Brown Sugar Syrup - use our yummy Brown Sugar Syrup as a sweetener instead of the maple syrup.
- Caramel Syrup - use our homemade Caramel Syrup instead of the maple to sweeten it.
- Cold Buster - Add ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger and ¼ teaspoon fresh grated turmeric at the bottom of the mug with the beet powder for an immunity boost! Ginger and turmeric are also full of antioxidants.
- Creamy - Make it creamier by replacing ¼ cup of the milk with ¼ cup coconut milk or even coconut cream.
- Beetroot Chai latte- add a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of cardamom at the same time as the beet powder.
- hand frother or espresso machine- not 100% necessary! It will still turn out, but the frothed milk makes it so smooth and velvety.
This doesn't keep well, especially with the milk frothed. If keeping for later, don't froth the milk. Will keep in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Reheat in the microwave if desired.
Make sure the milk is nice and steamy, not just hot. But once it starts to get hot, you'll want to stir it more consistently so it doesn't scald to the bottom of the pan.
Pink Beetroot Latte
- 1 frother
- 1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon beetroot powder
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla for plain almond milk ¼ teaspoon for vanilla almond milk
- Heat the almond milk in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Measure beetroot powder into the bottom of a large mug.
- Once the milk just starts to steam, start stirring consistently.
- When it's nice and steamy, pour ½-2/3 of it into the mug. Add the vanilla and syrup and stir well.
- Tilt the saucepan to the side and place the hand frother in towards the bottom and move gently back and forth for about 30 seconds. Or, use an espresso machine.
- Pour the foamed milk into the mug, serve and enjoy!