This easy homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe is the absolute best. Soft and chewy, they are chocolate-y and peanut-buttery deliciousness. These were inspired by my husband's love for Muddy Buddies and cookies. They are chocolate peanut butter goodness and both flavors come through beautifully.
These are popular year round and especially during the holiday season. Made in 20 minutes, they are an easy delicious crinkle dessert!
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- peanut butter
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or bowl and hand mixer Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter in a bowl on high speed for 2 minutes. It should be light and fluffy.
2. Add the peanut butter, egg and vanilla. Beat on high for 1 more minute.
3. Add the flour, cocoa powder (I used Hershey's), salt and baking soda. Beat on low until just combined. Be careful not to over mix! Roll the cookie dough into dough balls, about 1 ¼" diameter.
4. Roll into granulated sugar and place on a baking sheet. Use a fork to flatten the dough balls, using a criss cross pattern. Bake at 350*F for 9-11 minutes. Until the edges have set and the tops turn matte.
Hint: Do not over mix the cookie dough or they will be dense and a little tough instead of soft and chewy.
- Gluten Free- make these gluten free by using half oat flour and half gluten free all purpose flour at a 1:1 ratio
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies- Use 3 more Tablespoons of Hershey's cocoa powder and 3 less Tablespoons flour than called for.
- Double Chocolate- Add 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips after mixing in the dry ingredients and mix in.
- Gooey- Add 1 extra egg yolk when adding the egg. Make sure to not over bake at all! Remove from oven as soon as the edges are set and the top is matte.
- Double Chocolate, Double Peanut Butter Deluxe- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 cup of peanut butter chips to the dough after mixing in the dry ingredients and mix in.
Do not over bake (unless you like them crispy)!! They will be crisp and crumbly instead of soft and chewy. Remove from oven as soon as the edges are set and the top has turned matte. Allow to rest on the pan 5 minutes before removing.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar plus 3 Tablespoons for rolling dough in.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup regular peanut butter see variations for natural peanut butter directions
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 ⅛ cup all-purpose flour ⅛ cup = 2 Tablespoons
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer beat butter and sugars on high for 2 minutes until lightened and fluffy. Add the peanut butter, egg and vanilla and beat until well combined, about one minute.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda and mix on low just until combined.
- Form dough into balls, around 1 ¼" diameter. Roll into granulated sugar and place on baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges are set and the tops are matte. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in microwave for 4-8 seconds to soften.
- Freeze while still fresh in an airtight container for up to 2 months.