These homemade chocolate revel bars are basically gooey oatmeal cookies swimming in a sea of hot fudge, on top of a soft and chewy oatmeal cookie base. I know. I know! They are incredible. Also known as oatmeal fudge bars or oatmeal cookie bars, they are a fabulous dessert. These are my go-to treat to bring to a dinner or party or dinner party and they are ALWAYS a hit!
These are rich and delicious. So fudgy, so gooey, so chocolatey. For other fun chocolate-y desserts check out our Oreo Cheesecake Cookies and Caramel Brownie Cookies and 2- ingredient Oreo Mug Cake. For more oatmeal goodness, try our Oatmeal Toffee Bars. For information on doubling or halving this recipe or others, check our kitchen conversions post complete with printables!
For the cookie base:
- brown sugar- light or dark. Sometimes I use dark for a richer more caramel-y taste
- vanilla- pure vanilla gives the best flavor!
- baking soda
- salt- basic table salt or pink himalayan
- all-purpose flour
- rolled oats- I prefer mine with old fashioned, but quick oats work great too!
For the fudge sauce:
- sweetened condensed milk
- chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix about 2 minutes until it has lightened and is fluffier looking.
2. Add eggs and vanilla. Cream on high speed about 1 minute until the mixture has lightened and is fluffy looking. Don't skip the creaming step- it helps the texture of the finished product.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix on low/ medium-low speed until slightly under combined. Add oats then mix just until combined. Try not to over mix on this step.
4. In a saucepan heat butter, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and salt. Heat over medium low heat until melted and smooth. Stir regularly to keep it from scalding to the bottom of the pan. Once it all melts together and becomes smooth, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
5. Press about ⅔ of the oatmeal cookie base into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Pour all of the hot fudge mixture over the top.
6. Using your hands, press the remaining dough into pieces of different shapes and sizes and place on top of the fudge- the thickness should be uniform. Place on top of the fudge. Bake for 25 minutes.
They are finished when the cookies are matte and a toothpick comes out clean. Don't worry about fudge on the toothpick, it's cookie dough you need to worry about here. Sometimes we like to slightly under bake them for an extra gooey texture. Enjoy and revel in your chocolate revel bars!!
Hint: Do not over bake these! You'll miss out on the soft gooey texture and be met instead with dry crumbly bars.
- gluten free- you can buy gluten free oats and make this with gluten free all-purpose flour, but the texture will not be the same. Substitute gluten free flour as directed on the box
- oat-free- make these oat free by not adding the oats. My son has a sensitivity to oats, so sometimes I make these oat free for him. Use an extra ½ cup flour
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars- in a hurry? Skip the fudge sauce and use one package of chocolate chips instead. It's not quite the same, but still a yummy alternative.
- Caramelitas- before adding the fudge, pour a layer of caramel on top of the dough. This can be store bought or try our yummy caramel topping, cooking it until it reaches a full soft ball stage.
Somehow these delicious little delights taste even better the next day! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days for the freshest taste.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw to room temperature.
These are delicious as is and don't need to be reheated in any form.
Do not over bake! The last thing you want to do is take these from soft ooey gooey delights to dry and crumbly boring treats.
These are so heavenly and enjoyable, and the word revel means: 'enjoy oneself in a lively way' and that's exactly what you'll do while enjoying these!
Absolutely. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw to room temperature and enjoy! No need to reheat.