The best Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are an easy, no-bake recipe that takes your original classic cereal treat to the next level. The perfect traditional cereal treat for every chocolate lover. We love how this quick dessert is made with cocoa powder and marshmallows.
With all that chocolate goodness this dessert is perfect for an after school snack but also makes for a fun treat for Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, or even Christmas.
This recipe is made with simple ingredients! This is a fun treat to have kids help make.
- Mini Marshmallows- You can use mini marshmallows or large marshmallows for this recipe. We like using the mini marshmallows because they melt more easily and quickly. I found the mini marshmallows easier to manage and didn't scald while melting.
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Salted Butter- Salted butter works great with this recipe. It adds a little salt to a sweet and chocolatey treat.
- Cocoa Powder- Using cocoa powder is a great way to get that chocolate taste with a dairy-free option. The bitterness of the cocoa powder pairs nicely with the sweet marshmallow.
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Follow these step-by-step instructions for the best results. Follow the photos for texture and look.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter completely. Add the mini marshmallows and stir. Continue to stir until the marshmallows begin to melt. Don't let the marshmallows sit in the pan without stirring or they may burn.
2. When the marshmallows are half melted, add the cocoa powder and continue to stir. Stir until completely melted.
3. When the marshmallows and cocoa powder mixture is smooth add the Rice Krispies immediately. Gently mix until they are completely coated in the gooey mixture. Pour the mixed cereal and marshmallows into a well greased 9x9 pan.
4. With parchment paper, press down on the mixture until flat and touching all sides and corners. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on the top and immediately press them into the cereal with the parchment paper.
5. Let them cool completely before cutting them into squares. If you cut them too soon, they won't be set and will be difficult to work with.
Hint: Do not overcook the marshmallows once melted, this will cause your dessert to set hard.
- Chocolate Chips - instead of using cocoa powder, use ½ cup of chocolate chips. Melt them with the marshmallows. Use dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate depending on your preference.
- Peanut Butter Chips - make this a chocolate peanut butter treat by adding peanut butter chips to the top of the treat instead of mini chocolate chips. Or add ¼ cup of peanut butter chips with the melting marshmallows to get the flavor throughout.
- Mint Chocolate Chips- Top with mint chocolate chips to get a mint chocolate taste. Or toss in ¼ cup of mint chocolate chips to melt with the marshmallows.
- Dipped/Covered- For the ultimate chocolate experience, once cooled and cut melt ½ cup of your favorite melting chocolate and dip the tops or dip half of the treat in the melted chocolate. Set on a parchment paper to set. This will give you a double chocolate-covered or dipped dessert.
Learn From Us
While I was recipe testing, I used too much butter. They didn't stick to the pan but the treats were really greasy. The rice krispie treats even seemed to get soggy as they sat in the pan over time. Use the amount of butter in the recipe for the right texture. It makes for a crisp yet soft treat.
Storing Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
Store uneaten Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats at room temperature covered with plastic wrap or foil. Make sure they are cooled completely before covering or they will become soggy. After they cool, if you don't cover them, they will become stale and hard.
They can be stored for 3-4 days for a good fresh taste.
Do not refrigerate! The cereal will become chewy and you will lose the crispness you love.
Use a 9x9 baking pan instead of a 9x13 baking pan to ensure you get a thick 8 inch Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat. If you want a thinner dessert, use a 9x13 pan.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 Large Sauce Pan
- 1 9x9 Pan
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 6 cups mini marshmallows about 1, 10 ounce bag
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon mini milk chocolate chips optional, for topping
- Grease a 9x9 baking pan, set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted add in the marshmallows.4 tablespoons salted butter
- Melt the marshmallows until they are almost completely melted but some still have their form. Stir continually. Stir in the cocoa powder until the melted marshmallows turn brown.6 cups mini marshmallows, ¼ cup cocoa powder
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the rice Krispie cereal. Stir until completely mixed with the marshmallow butter mixture.6 cups rice krispies
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the greased pan and press down with parchment paper. If desired, sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top and immediately press them into the rice Krispies with parchment paper. If you wait too long they will start to melt and when you press them down, they will lose their form.1 tablespoon mini milk chocolate chips
- Let cool, cut and serve. This will make 8 inch treats. Use a 9x13 pan for a thinner square.
- Store at room temperature covered with plastic wrap or tin foil. Make sure they are cooled before covering.
- For thicker treats, use a 9x9 baking dish. If you want a thinner rice krispie treat, use a 9x13 pan.
- Instead of chocolate chips, sprinkle the top with red hots or valentines sprinkles for a Valentines day treat.
- Add ¼ cup peanut butter while melting the marshmallows for a fun variation.
- Add ¼ cup mint chocolate chips while melting the marshmallows for a fun flavor.
- Top with holiday themed M&Ms depending on which holiday you are making them for.
- Top with mint chips or peanut butter chips instead of mini milk chocolate chips.
- Calling all chocolate lovers, this gluten free dessert can be double chocolate by adding mini chocolate chips to the top. It adds a cute look and tastes delicious.
- Use dairy free or vegan butter to make this a dairy free dessert (without butter). Skip add chocolate chips to the top, or top it with dairy free chocolate chips.
- Instead of the traditional cereal, make it a chocolate explosion with Cocoa Krispies. Follow the recipe as written, or just use the Cocoa Krispies and omit the other chocolate add ins.
- Once cooled and cut melt ½ cup of your favorite melting chocolate and dip or drizzle the tops or dip half of the treat in the melted chocolate. Let the chocolate set on parchment paper before enjoying.