These TikTok viral copycat Cosmic Brownies are rich, thick and fudgy brownies topped with a smooth chocolate ganache and those cosmic candy coated chocolate bits. They are just as chocolatey and fudgy as store bought, but fresher and more flavorful since they're homemade.
Cosmic Brownies are fabulous any time of the year. This recipe uses brown sugar, corn starch and an extra egg yolk to make them thicker and fudgier like the Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies. Use your extra egg white to make our Egg White Granola. We tested these and felt like to stay true to the flavor of the real Cosmic Brownies, the ganache was just too dark with only semi-sweet chocolate chips, so the ganache on these is half milk, half semi-sweet.
- brown sugar
- granulated white sugar
- cocoa powder
- corn starch
- whipping cream
- milk chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chips
See recipe card for quantities.
For the Batter:
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Melt butter in the microwave then whisk together in a microwave safe bowl with the sugar until well combined. Place in the microwave for 45 seconds and whisk lightly. Let sit for 2 minutes. Microwave an additional 30 seconds and whisk. The mixture should be smooth and the sugars should be dissolved. Microwave an additional 30 seconds if necessary.
2. Add 2 whole eggs + one egg yolk to the butters and sugar. Whisk vigorously until silky and smooth. About 40-90 seconds depending how vigorously you whisk. You'll know when you're done because it will look nice and smooth.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the batter. Using a spatula and a folding motion, combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients. Check out this video for more information on how to fold, if necessary. Fold only until no white specks remain.
4. Place in a greased 8x8 baking dish. I like to add parchment paper to the bottom for easier removal, but you don't have to. Bake for 24-30 minutes. The top will start to get that crackly top and a toothpick should come out clean. Allow to cool completely. You can speed up the cooling by placing it in the refrigerator after it has cooled on the counter at least 45 minutes first.
For the Ganache:
5. Once the brownies are completely cooled, make the ganache. Measure milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips into a glass bowl. Microwave whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl until hot and bubbly, about 60 seconds. Pour on top of chocolate chips and allow to sit for 30-60 seconds then whisk until smooth.
6. Allow the ganache to cool for a couple of minutes then pour on top of the cooled brownies. Spread it smooth and allow set aside until cooled. Once they are cooled to room temperature, sprinkle the rainbow coated chocolate chips on top and dig in! We recommend using a plastic knife to cut brownies, but a metal knife will work too.
Hint: Don't over bake the brownies! They will be dry and crumbly. For fudgy, moist brownies, remove from oven as soon as they are done! An inserted toothpick should come out either clean or it might have a little bit of moist crumbs on it. If there is wet batter on the toothpick, they need more time.
- M&M's - use mini M&M's instead of rainbow coated chocolate chips. They taste almost the same and are a lot less expensive.
- Icing- you can make these with an icing instead of ganache, if desired. Simply use your favorite chocolate icing recipe to use instead.
- Dairy Free - These can be made dairy free by using plant butter instead of dairy butter and switching out the ganache for your favorite vegan chocolate icing.
- Milk Chocolate - these brownies are pretty rich and a little dark. If you prefer something milkier use only milk chocolate chips in the ganache and exchange 2 Tablespoons of the cocoa powder for 2 Tablespoons of flour.
- Extra Dark - For extra dark brownies, use only semi-sweet chocolate chips and exchange 2 Tablespoons of flour for 2 more Tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Cosmic Brownie Ice Cream- get your favorite chocolate ice cream, chop some of these up to put on top, then top with your favorite chocolate sauce and more rainbow candy coated chocolate chips.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They will last longer before going bad, but we recommend eating them sooner to maintain the amazing texture!
Store fresh brownies in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 months. We recommend only thawing them when you are ready to eat them. Allow to thaw at room temperature for about 1 hour, then eat immediately or they will start to weep.
Don't skip cooling the brownies! Pouring hot ganache on hot brownies could make the ganache absorb into the brownies changing the texture.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
- Don't eat raw brownie batter