This Chocolate Oreo Brownie Trifle Recipe is the perfect cookies n cream treat! It's easy to make and so delicious. Packed with OREOs, brownies, cream cheese mousse, and OREO pudding, this trifle is easy, delicious and absolutely scrumptious through every single layer.
It's perfect for entertaining: We have made this many times! We like making it for parties, birthdays, events or just a fun night with friends and family. It's beautiful on a holiday dessert table. It's also great because even though it looks amazing, it's so easy to make and is quick to put together too! And chocolate just makes everything better.
This was inspired by my OREO Cheesecake Cookies and goes great with our No Bake Oreo Pie, Oreo Blizzard, and our Oreo Fudge. Serve with our fun Tanghulu, and Cookie Dough Dip with Greek Yogurt for a great party spread. Try this fun pudding dessert Dirt Cups. We even added this to our Foods that start with O list!
Below is a list of ingredients needed for this recipe. Follow our tips on each ingredient for best results.
- OREOs- you can use off brand, but just realize it will taste a little bit different
- cream cheese- we always recommend Philadelphia cream cheese for maximum smoothness. We have recipe tested with different brands and found that some make the filling a little gritty or even worse, lumpy.
- OREO/ cookies n cream pudding- You can use Jell-O brand, or an off brand for this one. Just realize that some off brands don't set up as well and may be more liquid-y.
- brownies- we used our favorite box mix, but you can absolutely make them homemade for a personal touch!
- cold milk- cold is essential for the pudding to set up right! We also recommend using 2% or whole milk for the best results. We tested the pudding with different milk fats and found skim and 1% to be a little more watery and they made the brownies goes soggy faster.
- Dream Whip- this makes the cream cheese mousse so fluffy and wonderful! It can be found near the pudding at your local grocery store.
- granulated sugar- Basic white granulated sugar for this recipe
- vanilla- we highly recommend pure vanilla, however imitation will do in a pinch.
How to Make and Oreo Brownie Trifle
1. Make brownies ahead of time and cool completely. Cut into 1" squares and set to the side. Sometimes I use a box mix; our favorite homemade brownies are the base of these from the Stay at Home Chef.
2. Crumble a regular sized package of OREOs and set to the side. You can use a food processor, but be careful not to over crumble! You want plenty of large chunks.
3. Make the OREO pudding by placing pudding mix and milk in a bowl and whisking on high for about 2 minutes. Place in the refrigerator.
4. Make the Cream Cheese Mousse. You'll need 2 bowls. In the first bowl, make one package of Dream Whip according to package directions, then mix in the ⅓ cup of sugar. Mix until sugar has dissolved. Place in the fridge. In the second bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese, milk and sugar on high until well blended and smooth and creamy. Fold together the 2 bowls gently, until well combined.
How to Assemble a Brownie Trifle
Use these process shots to help get the results you are wanting. The pictures can help with presentation and texture.
1. Place chopped brownies in the bottom of the trifle bowl.
2. Cover the brownies with ⅓ of the cream cheese mousse filling.
3. Top with a layer of crushed OREOs.
4. Top with half of the OREO pudding. Repeat the whole process 2 more times, only the last time you'll end with OREOs instead of pudding.
Learn From us
One time when I made this, I made it and assembled it the day before. When I went to serve it, it was pretty soggy! The brownies were soggy, the OREOs were a little soft. It still tasted delicious, but the texture wasn't nearly as good!
All of the individual parts can be made ahead of time by up to a day. The pudding and no bake cheesecake filling both need to be stored in the refrigerator.
We love switching things up when we're in the kitchen. Try any of these variations for something a little different.
- Peppermint OREO - use mint OREOs instead of regular, and add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract to the cream cheese mousse. Perfect for the holidays.
- Strawberry- chop 2 pounds of fresh strawberries and layer them in on top of the OREOs. Check out this Strawberry Trifle recipe for more ideas!
- Heath Toffee Brownie Trifle - buy bite size heath bars and place them on while adding the OREOs, top with a drizzle of caramel on top, if desired.
- Raspberry - Add fresh raspberries. Layer them in on top of the cream cheese mousse and under the OREOs.
To make individual servings, use clear cups or glasses and layer in the trifle elements. This will likely make 12-24 individual cups, depending how large or small they are.
Oreo Trifle with Brownies
- 1 trifle bowl
For the brownies:
- 1 9x13 pan of brownies baked and cooled completely. Box mix is fine, or the brownies in this recipe are easy and delicious.
For the Oreo crumbles:
- 1 regular size package Oreos 14.3 oz, crumbled to various sizes.
For the Pudding:
- 2 large boxes Oreo instant pudding mix 4.2 oz each
- Plus 4 cups cold milk to prepare
For the no bake cheesecake filling:
- 1 package Dream Whip
- plus ½ cup cold milk and ½ teaspoon vanilla to make according to directions
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 8 ounce package cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Make brownies in 9x13 pan.
- Cut baked and cooled brownies into 1" squares.
- Crumble a regular size package of Oreos. Crumble them into pieces of a variety of sizes.
- Make the Oreo pudding.
- Make both boxes together in a bowl according to the directions then place in the fridge.
No Bake Cheesecake Filling:
- In the first bowl, make the Dream Whip according to the package directions, then mix in ⅓ cup sugar.
- In the second bowl (still using an electric mixer) mix together the cream cheese milk and sugar until well blended.
- Gently fold the cream cheese mixture into the dream whip mixture.
- Start with a layer of brownies at the bottom of the trifle bowl. Line the bottom with brownie pieces.
- Cover with ⅓ of the no bake cheesecake filling, then a layer of crumbled Oreos, and finally ½ the Oreo pudding.
- Repeat. See photos above for a great visual.
- The last (third) time through won't have a layer of Oreo pudding, but will end with Oreo crumbles on top.
Make a box of brownies. Cool then cut into 1" squares. Crush a bag of OREOs, make some no bake cheesecake filling, then make some OREO pudding. Layer the brownies at the bottom of a trifle bowl. Top with the cream cheese filling, then the crushed OREOs, then the OREO pudding. Layer until you run out of room and enjoy!