Learn how to make the original Gigi Hadid Pasta, with or without vodka in the sauce, with this copycat recipe. Spicy Vodka Pasta is a quick and easy tomato based sauce with crushed red pepper and cream. An easy step by step recipe with an elegant look, perfect for the weeknight family size meal to a Valentines date for two.
A quick and easy meal for any weekday, or make an elegant meal for two for a special dinner date or valentines dinner.
This recipe is made with or with no Vodka. Adding Vodka to a tomato pasta dish enhances the flavor of the tomatoes and the amount of alcohol used burns off after 3 minutes of simmering.
This copycat recipe became popular on Tiktok and Instagram and we had to recreate it. We made sure to double the portions from the original to serve 4 people instead of 2. It can be easily double to serve 6 or 8 people.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Trending Recipe - it's always fun to try out viral recipes we find on Instagram, TikTok, or Youtube. This recipe is one of those fun recipes to try!
- Quick and Easy - this is a quick and easy weeknight meal that can be prepared and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
- Kid Friendly - though vodka is in the name, this is a kid friendly dish they will love. For the same great taste and being Kid Friendly don't add the Vodka and add the crushed red pepper on the side!
- Classic - This is a classic American Italian dish that is sure to become a family staple.
- Added Protein - Easily toss in chicken, ground Italian sausage, or shrimp to this otherwise vegetarian dish.
- Easily Adapted- Make it your own way by making adaptations found in the variation and substitutions sections.
- Easy Ingredients- This meal is made with staple ingredients found in most pantries.
- Perfect for Special Occasions-While this makes a great family meal during the week, it also is a fancy feeling meal for Valentines day, Anniversaries, and Date Nights at home.
- Olive Oil- This fragrant oil is best for this dish to help bring out the flavors of the vegetables.
- Onion- Use finely chopped white onion. You can also use Shallots or purple onions for added flavor.
- Minced Garlic- Minced garlic adds a great taste to this meal. If you don't have that on hand you can also use garlic powder. 1 clove of garlic is equal to ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Vodka (Not Pictured and OPTIONAL)-This is an optional ingredient. If added, most of the alcohol will burn off after three minutes of simmering in the sauce.
- Tomato Paste- Make sure to use tomato paste instead of tomato sauce.
- Heavy Cream- Heavy cream gives this a delicious and creamy taste. You can also use half and half or even milk substitutes depending on your dietary needs.
- Crushed Red Pepper- This gives traditional Vodka Sauce that spicy name.
- Parmesan Cheese-Cheese helps give it a great consistency. It also is a great garnish for serving.
- Shell Pasta- This is from the original recipe. The shells help hold a large amount of sauce and flavor. Feel free to use your favorite noodles like Rigatoni, Penne, Farfalle (Bow Tie), Rotini, or Ziti.
See recipe card for quantities.
- In a medium sauce pan cook shell pasta noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside reserving some pasta water.
2. In a saute pan heat olive oil. Add diced onion and cook until slightly translucent. Add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant.
3. Add the tomato paste to the cooked garlic and onions and mix until combined.
4. Next add the heavy cream and crushed red pepper to the tomato paste and stir until a sauce begins to form.
5. Pour in the parmesan cheese. The consistency will be a little thick and cheesy. Add in pasta water to help thin the sauce to the consistency you prefer.
6. Add the drained shell pasta to the sauce.
7. Mix until the noodles are completely covered in sauce. Serve with extra parmesan and crushed red pepper if desired.
Hint: Don't forget to reserve excess pasta water. You will want to add ¼ cup to about ½ cup to thin the sauce to desired texture.
- Half and Half - Looking for this recipe without heavy cream? Substitute for half and half at a 1:1 ratio for the same great taste and a little healthier with less fat.
- Milk -Don't have cream or half and half? Use milk you have in the fridge at a 1:1 ratio. The sauce will not be as thick and you may not need to add to pasta water to thin the sauce.
- Tomato Sauce-Instead of tomato paste, use tomato sauce at a 1:1 ratio. Tomato sauce is much thinner than tomato paste. You will need to simmer for 3-5 minutes and the sauce won't be as thick as the original recipe.
- Gluten Free- make this a gluten free dish by using your favorite gluten free pasta.
- Not Spicy -If you don't like things spicy, be sure to leave out the crushed red pepper, or add half the amount for a more subtle heat.
- Ground Beef-While this meal is vegetarian, add one cup of cooked ground beef for extra protein and flavor.
- Shrimp-Make this a seafood sensation by adding in 1 cup of cooked shrimp mixed into with the pasta and sauce.
- Lemon Juice- Want to skip the vodka but add in extra flavor? Add in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for some added zest instead of vodka.
- With Chicken- Add sliced grilled chicken to the top of the each bowl of served pasta.
- Without Onion- Not an onion fan, skip the the onion step to eliminate that onion flavor. The flavor of the dish will be altered.
- Dairy Free - Looking for a dairy free option? Instead of using creams or cows milk use Almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, or soy milk at a 1:1 ratio. These milks tend to be thinner so the sauce may be runnier. Simmer for 3-5 minutes to help with the consistency. This will also help make this meal a vegan option.
- Bacon- Either top or toss in cooked bacon bites to the Spicy Vodka Pasta.
Store Gigi Hadid Pasta (Spicy Vodka Pasta) in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To serve again, reheat the portion you are going to eat in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute and then in 30 second intervals until it's the desired temperature.
This sauce comes together quickly, make sure to have all the ingredients ready to be added when you start the cooking process.
Though in the name, this dish does not need added vodka to be a delicious meal. It taste amazing without vodka. If you add Vodka, most of the alcohol will burn off after simmering the sauce for 3 minutes.
A red pasta sauce with added cream and crushed red pepper making Spicy Vodka Pasta. This recipe was made famous from a viral Tiktok and Instagram video.
No! While vodka added to a pasta sauce enhances the flavor of the tomatoes, it is not necessary if you want to skip the ingredient. If you are worried about the added alcohol, make sure to simmer the sauce for 3 minutes to help burn off some of the alcohol.
Gigi Hadid Pasta (Spicy Vodka Pasta)
- medium sauce pan
- medium saute pan
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup white onion diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic about 2 teaspoons
- 2 tablespoons Vodka* OPTIONAL
- 6 ounces Tomato Paste 1 can
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup pasta water reserve you will need ¼-1/2 cups
- 2 cups Shell Pasta
- ¼ teaspoon table salt more or less as desired
- Cook the shell pasta noodles according to package directions. Once cooked reserve ½ cup of pasta water and then drain and set aside.
- On medium heat in a medium saute pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the ½ cup diced onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the 4 cloves of minced garlic and stir and cook until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add 6 ounces of tomato paste (one cane) to the sautéed onions and garlic. Mix until well combined and continue to stir for 2 minutes. Pour in 1 cup of heavy cream and crushed red pepper and stir until a sauce is formed.
- At this time, if you are using vodka add the 2 tablespoons of vodka and simmer for 3 minutes while stirring.
- Next add in the ½ cup of parmesan cheese and ¼ teaspoon of salt and stir, the sauce will thicken and get cheesy. Add ¼ cup of pasta water to thin the sauce. Add an additional ¼ cup if desired.
- Last, add the cooked shell pasta to the sauce and stir until completely coated. Serve topped with more parmesan cheese and fresh basil if desired. See notes for additional information.
- This recipe can EASILY be made without Vodka and tastes delicious. This is how we make it! If you do use vodka, it enhances the flavor of the tomatoes and the alcohol will burn off after 3 minutes for the amount the recipe calls for.
- Make this recipe healthier by using Half and Half or milk instead of heavy cream at a 1:1 ratio.
- Add grilled chicken, shrimp, bacon, ground beef, or Italian sausage to this meatless meal.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove