Homemade Air Fryer Taquitos are a simple meal that are easy to make and so delicious. With a crisp and crunchy outside, and a cheesy chicken center, this will become a new family staple. Whether eaten plain, or dipped in salsa, queso, or hot sauce, these air fryer taquitos won't disappoint. You get that delicious crisp and crunchy taste in half the time as cooking them in the oven and healthier than frying them in oil.
This air fryer recipe, whether homemade or from frozen, is perfect for a summer lunch when the kids are home from school, a quick and easy meal, or a party appetizer. Air frying these taquitos is as effective as frying them in oil, but much healthier!
These taquitos from scratch are delicious with our Fresh Black Bean and Corn Salsa, and our Cilantro Lime Guacamole. Or dip it in our Avocado Crema or Smoky Red pepper Crema.
Be sure to check out our other air fryer sides and snacks like our air fryer brussel sprouts, air fryer mozzarella sticks, air fryer zucchini fritters, Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer, Air fryer Quesadillas and air fryer asparagus.
Looking for other Mexican inspired meals? Our meatless options of Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos and Roasted Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos are dinner winners.
Or check our air fryer chicken tacos, or Arepa Con Queso recipe! Or try a new twist with these tasty Air Fryer Breakfast Taquitos.
Why we Love This Recipe
- Kid Friendly- This is a family friendly meal everyone can enjoy. Your kids will love the crispy texture and cheesy center.
- Versatile- You can make these as a snack, side dish or main meal. We love making this as a weeknight meal during busy school days.
- Healthier- Rather than deep frying taquitos in oil, this air fryer version is healthier. Don't worry, you still get the same great taste you love
- Quick and Easy- This is a perfect meal for a busy day. You can throw this meal together in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Simply Ingredients- We love how easy these are to make, and it use simply ingredients most people have on hand.
- Adaptable-Look to our substitutions and variations for ways you can make these your own or to fit the dietary needs of your family.
DIRECTIONS FOR FROZEN
When life gets busy and we need a quick summer lunch for the kids, or party appetizer, buying frozen taquitos to make in the air fryer is a great solution. Whether you use Trader Joe's, Costco, El Monterey, Jose Ole, Delimex, or another brand, they all cook about the same.
- Shredded Chicken- You can use a shredded chicken breast or shredded leftover rotisserie chicken. Here are 4 easy ways to shred chicken.
- Yellow Corn Tortillas- We used yellow corn tortillas for this recipe but you can also use white corn tortillas or flour tortillas.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese- Cheddar cheese gives this recipe a great taste but other cheeses like mozzarella or Colby jack can be used.
- Table Salt- Traditional table salt works great for this meal. It is used to lightly season the chicken.
- Garlic Powder- While we often used minced garlic, garlic powder is used to help season the chicken. It's a pantry staple that most have on hand.
- Coarse sea salt- This is a great addition to the outside of the tortilla. It helps enhance the taste of the crispy tortilla.
- Unsalted Butter- Because of the salt in the chicken and the outside of the tortilla unsalted butter works great. But salted butter can easily be substituted.
See recipe card for quantities.
Directions for Homeade
- Preheat air fryer to 400*F.
2. On a corn tortilla, add shredded chicken and cheese down the center. Warm corn tortillas before handling, this prevents them from breaking.
3. Tightly roll the chicken and cheese in the corn tortilla.
4. Place the rolled corn tortilla seam down on a plate or baking sheet and continue rolling the remaining taquitos.
5. Transfer the rolled taquitos to the bottom of the air fryer basket, seam down. The can be touching slightly, but not overlapping. For best results, have the taquitos barely spaced apart.
6. Rub melted butter over the top of each individual taquito.
7. Lightly salt the tops of the buttered taquitos with coarse sea salt. This step can be skipped if desired but gives this air fryer recipe a great taste.
8. Bake for 6-8 minutes in the air fryer. Check at 4 minutes to make sure you don't burn them.
Hint: Every air fryer is different! The time may need to be adjusted based on what type of air fryer you use. This recipe was originally used with the Ninja Foodi XL grill.
Here are a list of substitutions to help make this meal easy to make with what you have on hand.
- Flour Tortillas - instead of using corn tortillas, use flour tortillas to make a flauta style dish.
- White Corn Tortillas- While we used yellow corn tortillas for this meal, you can easily use white corn tortillas for similar results.
- Vegetarian -roast cauliflower and black beans to add as the center of the taquitos instead of chicken. Check out our Roasted Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos to use as the taquito filling.
- Bean and Cheese- For a vegetarian option, use black beans seasoned with cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic pepper.
- Beef- Instead of chicken, use shredded beef. Use at a 1:1 ratio.
- Pork- Instead of chicken, use pork. Pork can be substituted at a 1:1 ratio with the chicken.
Looking for a way to mix things up. These Homemade Taquitos can be personalized to fit you and your families needs!
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to the shredded chicken when adding the garlic powder and salt. Remember, a little goes a long way.
- Deluxe- Serve with our delicious Cilantro Lime Guacamole, sour cream and your favorite pico de gallo.
- Kid Friendly - This recipe is already kid friendly but make your kids favorite type of taquito by adding in their favorite meat, chicken, beef, pork, or beans and cheese.
For similar results to how we made this meal, look to our equipment guide.
- mixing bowls- This is to help mix the chicken and the seasoning together.
- air fryer - we use the Ninja Foodi XL grill, but any will work! Remember that all air fryers cook differently and cook times may need to be adjusted.
Store any leftover taquitos in an airtight container for 3-4 days. They also freeze well for up to 4 months.
To reheat, simply place in the air fryer for 5-8 minutes. This will keep them crispy. Make sure the air fryer is preheated beforehand and the center of the taquito is fully reheated.
Don't over stuff the taquitos with chicken and cheese, you don't want the corn tortillas to break, or for them to roll back open.
Enjoy this delightfully easy meal to make! A winner air fryer recipe for any quick dinner, lunch, or snack.
Yes! Whether you are making them from scratch or air frying frozen taquitos, and air fryer is a quick and effective way to cook taquitos. You get that delicious crisp and crunchy taste in half the time as cooking them in the oven.
Simply place homemade or frozen taquitos at the bottom of the air fryer basket and cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- 2 cups shredded chicken - you can use a shredded chicken breast or shredded leftover rotisserie chicken.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Preheat air fryer to 400*F
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix shredded chicken with garlic powder and salt.
- Warm the corn tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. If the tortillas aren't warmed, they break when handled.
- With the warmed tortilla laying flat, put about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken, and 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese down the center of the tortilla. Make sure not to overstuff the tortilla, or it will break.
- Roll the tortilla tightly. Continue until you have 8 rolled uncooked taquitos.
- Place the rolled tortillas at the bottom of the air fryer basket. The can be touching, but not overlapping.
- Brush the tops of the tortillas with melted butter and sprinkle the tops with the coarse sea salt.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately with salsa, hot sauce, guacamole, and or sour cream.
- This makes a great meal prep meal. Reheat leftovers in the air fryer to maintain a crispy outside.
- Not all air fryers are made the same and the cook time and temperature may need to be adjusted depending on the style that you have.
We love these veggie friendly taquitos! They are super easy to make and are really kid friendly too - they make a regular appearance at our dinner table!
I love making this recipe. It is so quick and easy and I'm always a fun of your meatless options. Such a fun and healthy take on taquitos.
Oh yum! I love the texture of these taquitos from the air fryer. They were absolutely incredible.
Everyone at my house really loved it! I love this air fryer recipe, thank you so much!
I found this recipe to use the air fryer frozen taquito recipe and came back to make the homemade air fryer taquitos a couple days later. So delicious!
These taquitos are truly one-of-a-kind! I mean this recipe is probably the best I've seen to date.
These are fantastic. My kids love to make them for an after school snack. Thanks fo the recipe!