Crockpot chicken potatoes and green beans is an easy one-pot meal made in the slow cooker. This flavorful dish, that takes minutes to prepare, uses a homemade lemon Italian seasoning dressing. The end result is tender chicken, red potatoes, and tender yet crisp green beans.
Slow cooker meals are some of my favorite go-to fall meals. They hit the spot in comfort and effort. This is huge hit and I suggest this recipe to friends all the time. They love it!
My falls always seemed jammed packed with school activities and last minute outdoor fun before the colder weather comes in. With this slower cooker meal, you can enjoy all the activities, and a delicious meal.
Below is a list of ingredients needed for crockpot chicken. It's important to follow the tips below for the best cooking experience.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts- Make sure the chicken is thawed before putting in the crockpot. Frozen chicken will over cook the other ingredients. You don't want to dry out the potatoes and green beans!
- Fresh Green Beans- Fresh green beans are best for this recipe but frozen green beans will also work.
- Red Potatoes- We love the taste and look of red potatoes but feel free to use russet or your favorite potatoes. Make sure they are cut into quarter size pieces.
- Italian Seasoning- This gives a great flavor without overpowering the natural flavors of the main ingredients.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder- You can't go wrong with garlic and onion. You can use minced garlic as well.
- Lemon Juice-Lemon chicken is one of my favorite flavors. This doesn't over power the recipe but it gives it a unique flavor profile.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Crockpot Chicken Potatoes and Green Beans
First, start by spraying the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray. You can even use a crockpot liner.
- Remove the stems of the green beans and cut into thirds. Wash and quarter the red potatoes.
2. Place the raw chicken in the middle of the crockpot. Place the chopped green beans on one side and quartered potatoes on the other side.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, Italian Seasoning, minced garlic, and onion powder to make a dressing.
4. Pour the mixture over the chicken, green beans, and potatoes. Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours.
Hint: Make sure the homemade Italian Seasoning Dressing covers all of the green beans, potatoes and chicken breasts in order to have the best flavor!
Substitutions and Variations
- Yukon Potatoes- instead of red potatoes, try chopped Yukon Potatoes.
- Russet Potatoes - Russet potatoes are very versatile and can be used in place of Red Potatoes.
- Broccoli- Instead of using green beans, you can use another vegetable like broccoli.
- Italian Dressing Packet - You can season this slow cooker meal with an Italian Seasoning Packet.
- Spicy - add crushed red pepper to the top to add an extra kick.
- Onion Soup Mix Packet - For a varied flavor, instead of using the homemade lemon Italian Seasoning dressing, sprinkle 1 envelope of Lipton onion soup mix packet and 1 cup of water over the top of the vegetables and chicken.
Storing Slow Cooker Chicken, Green Beans, and Potatoes
Store leftover cooked chicken, red potatoes, and green beans in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Cook in the microwave when ready to reheat. Make sure to reserve some dressing at the bottom of the slow cooker so the chicken stays moist.
Do not use frozen chicken! Frozen chicken will increase the cook time and green beans and red potatoes will overcook. Pull frozen chicken out to thaw in the refrigerator the night before cooking.
Crockpot Chicken Potatoes and Green Beans
- slow cooker
- 2-3 skinless boneless raw chicken breasts thawed
- 2 cups fresh green beans chopped in thirds
- 2 cups red potatoes quartered-or baby red potatoes
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Start by spraying the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken breasts in the center of the slow cooker. Add the fresh green beans to one side of the chicken, and red potatoes to the other side.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, olive oil, Italian Seasoning, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. See photos above for a great visual on this.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the chicken, green beans, and potatoes.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- I either use quartered red potatoes, or I love to use baby red potatoes. Baby red potatoes pair so well with this meal. I love the texture after they are done cooking.
- Use thawed chicken breasts. If using frozen chicken breasts, adjust cook time to 6-8 hours. Note that the green beans and potatoes may be over cooked!