This Sweet Potato Hash Recipe is Tex Mex style and so flavorful and delicious! It's made on a sheet pan, which makes it easy and less mess! Sweet Potato Hash is a family favorite and full of flavor and has a lot of variety in texture and is a great source of veggies and protein.
It's so quick to make. I love that I can chop my vegetables up ahead of time and have them ready to just throw in the oven. Sometimes on the weekends I'll do all of my vegetable chopping for the upcoming week.
Try another similar and delicious vegetarian meal, vegan ratatouille
First, peel and cut up the sweet potatoes, onion, cauliflower and garlic. Place them in a large bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and toss. Next, dump in the spices and toss some more. Spread out on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. You should be able to poke a fork through a sweet potato, but it shouldn't be soft.
While the veggies bake cut up the bell peppers. Rinse and drain the beans and cut up the cilantro. After the 15-20 minutes, dump the beans, peppers, and corn onto the pan and mix them in. Pushing the veggies aside, form 9 wells in the mixture. Crack the eggs into the wells, then salt and pepper the eggs. Return to the oven and cook for 5 more minutes. Move to the top rack and cook for 4-8 more minutes- until the eggs are no longer gooey on top. Pull the sheet pan out of the oven and spread the cilantro over the top and serve!
Substitutions and Variations
- Potatoes- serve this up with some potatoes instead of sweet potatoes.
- Sweet Potato Hash with Other Vegetables- are you out of cauliflower or bell peppers? We have made this with a variety of vegetables, and it still turns out great! Other vegetables that work are green beans, green bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash.
- Hate cilantro?- for those of us who like cilantro, this is top notch with it! If you hate cilantro, it still has great flavor without. Just leave it off.
Sweet Potato Hash
- 3 medium sweet potatoes cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 colored bell peppers chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained,
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 9 large eggs
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425* F.
- Grease or line a large baking sheet.
- Chop sweet potatoes into ½ inch chunks, chop cauliflower, thinly slice onions, and finely chop garlic.
- Put into a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Whisk spices together in a small bowl.
- Pour spices on top of vegetables and toss.
- Spread on baking sheet and bake for 15- 20 minutes. You should be able to poke a fork through a sweet potato, but it shouldn't be soft.
- While it bakes, chop bell peppers and place in bowl with black beans and corn.
- Pull out baked veggies and stir in the pepper/bean/corn mixture.
- Form 9 wells in the veggie mixture and crack eggs into them.
- Salt and pepper the eggs.
- Return to the oven and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Move to the top rack and bake an additional 4-8 minutes- until eggs are no longer gooey on top.
- Spread cilantro on top and serve!