Learn how to make the best crispy parmesan garlic Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes with this quick and easy recipe. Using baby Yukon Gold potatoes, this makes the best little potato cakes. This method will have you cooking up a delicious side or snack.
As seen on TikTok, this side dish is perfect for any summer get together bbq or cook out, or the perfect side for your next Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter dinner. This smashed potatoes recipe is so versatile and is without breadcrumbs.
Be sure to check out our other great and easy Air Fryer recipes like our Zucchini Fritters, Crispy Gnocchi, or Brussel Sprouts.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Garlic Salt
- Dried Oregano
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Black Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
- Boil a pot of water and add the whole potatoes. Boil for 10-12 minutes or until a fork goes into the potato easily. Don't overcook the potatoes or they will fall apart when you smash them.
2. Drain the potatoes from the boiling water.
3. While the potatoes are boiling, make the butter mixture. Melt the butter and add the parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and dried oregano. Add a dash of black pepper is desired. Mix altogether.
4. Take each boiled whole potato and with the bottom of a measuring cup gently press down to smash the potato.
5. Smash all of the boiled potatoes.
6. Place the potatoes at the bottom of your air fryer basket. With a cooking brush or spoon, brush each potato with the parmesan garlic butter mixture.
7. Cook the potatoes in a preheated air fryer for 8-10 minutes at 400* F.
8. Enjoy these crispy and tender air fryer smashed potatoes on their own or dipped in your favorite dipping sauce.
Hint: Make sure not to overcook the potatoes. If the potatoes are too soft, they will fall apart when you smash them. If they do fall apart, use your hands to press the potatoes back together. They may not be as pretty but they will stay taste delicious and you will be able to save the recipe.
- Olive Oil- Use olive oil instead of butter at a 1:1 ratio
- Vegan Butter: Use vegan butter instead of dairy butter at a 1:1 ratio.
- Russet - use russet potatoes instead of Yukon gold. Make sure they are small or cut each potato into 4ths before Boiling. Make sure not to over boil so they keep their form.
- Red Potatoes - substitute for small red potatoes for a delicious result.
- Dairy Free- Make this side dish dairy free by taking out the parmesan cheese and substituting the butter for olive oil at a 1:1 ratio.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to the butter mixture to make this a spicy side dish.
- Loaded -once cooked, make this loaded by having sour cream, chives, and bacon bites to top each potato.
For this recipe you will need an air fryer. For all of our air fryer recipes we use the Ninja Foodie Pro as linked here.
Remember not all air fryers are created equal and you may need to adjust the cook time depending on the brand and style you have.
You will also need:
- A plastic cup or measuring cup, to smash the potatoes
- A large pot
Store leftover food in an air tight container in the refrigerator of 3-4 days.
Reheat in the air fryer or microwave until heated all the way through. If you use the microwave, it won't have that same crisp texture that they originally had. They will still taste great though.
It's key to boil these potatoes just right. If you under boil them they won't smash down properly. If you over boil them, they will fall apart when you smash them down. A good test is to be able to stick a fork in the middle easily but not so easily that the sides of the potato crack.
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- air fryer
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 pound Small Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil on high heat. Add the potatoes and boil until soft, about 10-12 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain when done. Make sure not to over boil or they will break apart when smashed.
- While the potatoes boil, melt the butter in a small microwave safe dish. Add parmesan cheese, garlic salt, dried oregano, and black pepper. Mix.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400* F.
- Place the boiled potatoes on a cutting board or smooth surface. With the bottom of a plastic cup or measuring cup gently smash the potatoes.
- Place the smashed potatoes at the bottom of the air fryer basket and with a cooking brush or spoon, evenly spread the parmesan garlic butter on each potatoes.
- Air Fry the potatoes for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Cook longer if you want them crispier.
- We found that smashing the potatoes with a glass or metal cup or measuring cup does not work as well as the potato gets stuck to the cup.
- Adjust cook time depending on the type of air fryer you have as not all air fryers are created equal.
We loved making these smashed potatoes in the air fryer. They turned out so crispy and the parmesan and garlic flavor was spot on. I love using my air fryer in the summer so I don't heat the whole house up with my oven!
I can't believe how easy these crispy parmesan garlic Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are to make. They are a perfect side dish.
My new favorite way to make potatoes! These are so crispy and flavorful. Thanks for the great recipe!
100% the best smashed potatoes I have had so far! We just finished the chicken that we served with these crispy potatoes, and oh-my, they are fantastic! Lovely crispy edges and the salty tangy parmesan - honestly, I didn't think I could enjoy a humble potato this much!
These are great! A tasty snack or side dish for the whole family. I love that they are gluten-free - delish!
Smashed potatoes turned out great using the air fryer!