Learn how to make the best crispy parmesan garlic Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes with this quick and easy recipe. Using baby Yukon Gold potatoes, this makes the best little potato cakes. This method will have you cooking up a delicious side or snack.
As seen on TikTok, this side dish is perfect for any summer get together bbq or cook out, or the perfect side for your next Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter dinner. This smashed potatoes recipe is so versatile and is without breadcrumbs.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Garlic Salt
- Dried Oregano
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Black Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
- Boil a pot of water and add the whole potatoes. Boil for 10-12 minutes or until a fork goes into the potato easily. Don't overcook the potatoes or they will fall apart when you smash them.
2. Drain the potatoes from the boiling water.
3. While the potatoes are boiling, make the butter mixture. Melt the butter and add the parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and dried oregano. Add a dash of black pepper is desired. Mix altogether.
4. Take each boiled whole potato and with the bottom of a measuring cup gently press down to smash the potato.
5. Smash all of the boiled potatoes.
6. Place the potatoes at the bottom of your air fryer basket. With a cooking brush or spoon, brush each potato with the parmesan garlic butter mixture.
7. Cook the potatoes in a preheated air fryer for 8-10 minutes at 400* F.
8. Enjoy these crispy and tender air fryer smashed potatoes on their own or dipped in your favorite dipping sauce.
Hint: Make sure not to overcook the potatoes. If the potatoes are too soft, they will fall apart when you smash them. If they do fall apart, use your hands to press the potatoes back together. They may not be as pretty but they will stay taste delicious and you will be able to save the recipe.
- Olive Oil- Use olive oil instead of butter at a 1:1 ratio
- Vegan Butter: Use vegan butter instead of dairy butter at a 1:1 ratio.
- Russet - use russet potatoes instead of Yukon gold. Make sure they are small or cut each potato into 4ths before Boiling. Make sure not to over boil so they keep their form.
- Red Potatoes - substitute for small red potatoes for a delicious result.
- Dairy Free- Make this side dish dairy free by taking out the parmesan cheese and substituting the butter for olive oil at a 1:1 ratio.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to the butter mixture to make this a spicy side dish.
- Loaded -once cooked, make this loaded by having sour cream, chives, and bacon bites to top each potato.
For this recipe you will need an air fryer. For all of our air fryer recipes we use the Ninja Foodie Pro as linked here.
Remember not all air fryers are created equal and you may need to adjust the cook time depending on the brand and style you have.
You will also need:
- A plastic cup or measuring cup, to smash the potatoes
- A large pot
Store leftover food in an air tight container in the refrigerator of 3-4 days.
Reheat in the air fryer or microwave until heated all the way through. If you use the microwave, it won't have that same crisp texture that they originally had. They will still taste great though.
It's key to boil these potatoes just right. If you under boil them they won't smash down properly. If you over boil them, they will fall apart when you smash them down. A good test is to be able to stick a fork in the middle easily but not so easily that the sides of the potato crack.