Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters are an easy go to side made with simple ingredients and have a crispy outside texture and a soft inside. These make a perfect side or snack. Pair with a creamy dip, like Tzatziki sauce, or eat right out of the air fryer.
These air fryer fritters are golden brown and crispy. A no oil fritter that is healthy and still tastes delicious.
- Zucchini - shred in with a cheese grater
- Cheddar Cheese - shredded with a cheese grater
- Green Onion - chopped in small pieces
- All Purpose Flour
- Table Salt
See recipe card for quantities.
Start by grating the zucchini with a cheese grater. I leave the skin on the zucchini. It doesn't take away from the texture of the fritter.
Once it is grated, you will want to squeeze out the excess water zucchini holds.
The best way to squeeze out the excess water is by placing your shredded zucchini in the middle of a cheese cloth or a double layered paper towel. Squeeze the zucchini in a ball in the cheese cloth.
Let the excess moisture fall into a bowl or sink.
If using a paper towel, be sure to use a thicker quality paper towel to avoid it ripping while removing the moisture.
Add the squeezed zucchini into a medium sized mixing bowl with the flour, grated cheddar cheese, chopped green onion, and salt.
Add the egg and mix together to make a sticky dough. I use clean hands to mix together in order to make sure it is evenly mixed.
With about ¼ cup zucchini dough, flatten into a palm sized pancake. About ½ inch thick. Be sure to press together with slight pressure to help the dough stay together.
In a preheated air fryer, place the zucchini pancakes at the bottom of the basket.
Cook at 350 for 5 minutes. Flip over the patty and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until a nice golden brown color.
Hint: I'm in love with my Ninja Air Fryer. It is so versatile and I can cook large batches of food at a time!
- Parmesan Cheese - instead of using cheddar cheese substitute with grated parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese- looking for a cheese sensation, try substituting the cheddar cheese with mozzarella cheese.
- Vegan - the cheese can be replaced with a vegan cheese in order to comply with a vegan diet!
- Spicy - add a dash a black pepper for a small kick or go all out with dash of cayenne pepper.
- Deluxe - top with sour cream and green onions (or scallions), or try plain greek yogurt dip on the side.
An air fryer is a must have when making these air fryer fritters. I personally love my Ninja Air Fryer for its versatile functions, but any air fryer will work.
If not using an air fryer, you can cook these Zucchini Fritters in the oven. You will need to adjust the cook time as an air fryer cooks much quicker than a standard oven.
Store any leftover fritters in the fridge for 3-4 days. When reheating, to maintain a crispy texture, place the fritters in the air fryer for about 5 minutes.
You can also reheat in the microwave but the crispy texture will be lost.
Zucchini Fritters are easily frozen. You can freeze the formed fritter dough before cooking and thaw in the refrigerator and then cook according to recipe directions.
Or, you can freeze already cooked fritters and reheat them in the air fryer when ready to eat!
Don't forget to squeeze out the excess water from the zucchini. If you skip this step, your fritters will have too much moisture and will most likely not stay together.
Draining out the excess water will help give you a golden brown and crispy zucchini fritter.
These fritters reheat so well and make a perfect meal prep snack or add to any meal prep meal.
This tasty snack is a perfect toddler food. It's made with healthy ingredients and a perfect for little hands. A great way to help your little ones get in their vegetables.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- air fryer
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup Zucchini - about 1 medium zucchini
- ½ cup green onion chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat air fryer to 350.
- Grate zucchini with a cheese grater. Measure out one cup and squeeze in a cheese cloth or thick paper towel to eliminate excess water. The fritters will be soggy if you don't squeeze out some of the moisture.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together grated zucchini, grated cheddar cheese, flour, salt, and chopped green onion.
- Once thoroughly mixed, add in one egg and mix until a zucchini dough is made. I often need to use my hands to make sure it's fully incorporated.
- With about ¼ cup zucchini dough, make a small patty the size of your palm. About ½ inch thick.
- Firmly press the dough together to make sure it makes a solid patty.
- Place formed patties in the preheated air fryer.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip each patty over and cook for another 10 minutes or until the fritters are golden brown.
- Serve immediately or save for a meal prep side.
- Store any leftover fritters in the fridge for 3-4 days. When reheating, to maintain a crispy texture, place the fritters in the air fryer for about 5 minutes.
- You can also reheat in the microwave but the crispy texture will be lost.
- Zucchini fritters are easily frozen. You can freeze the formed fritter dough before cooking and thaw in the refrigerator and then cook according to recipe directions. Or, you can freeze already cooked fritters and reheat them in the air fryer when ready to eat!
- Don't forget to squeeze out the excess water from the zucchini. If you skip this step, your fritters will have too much moisture and will most likely not stay together.
- This makes a perfect toddler snack even for your picky eaters.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt.
Can you make zucchini fritters in the air fryer?
Absolutely! This recipe will give you step by step directions on just how to do so!
To avoid soggy fritters, make sure to squeeze as much moisture out of the zucchini as you can!
Yes! Before you cook them, or after! Look above for steps on how to reheat and cook frozen fritters.
Yes! This recipe doesn't use any oil, unlike other fried fritters. They also are packed with the nutrients from the zucchini like antioxidants, potassium, protein, and vitamin c!
Make sure the squeeze as much water out of your zucchini as you can. This will help the fritter stay together.
The easiest way to get moisture out of zucchini is by squeezing the grated/shredded zucchini in a cheese cloth or thick paper towel. Let the excess water drip into the sink or a spare bowl.