Learn how to make Roasted Zucchini perfectly with this quick and easy recipe. Directions for spears and slices/ rounds. Light and crisp on the outside, tender, but never mushy on the inside- these are the perfect side for any summer meal! Look at our variations below for some yummy spicy options and directions on how to make with yellow squash or tomatoes!
Zucchini, or courgette, is a beautiful green squash and popular in the summer and early fall. We love to make this recipe with fresh zucchini or summer squash from the garden.
This was inspired by our Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters, and pairs well with our Chicken Caesar Salad Pitas. Need more ideas for your Zucchini? Try our Chocolate Zucchini Bread, Zucchini Pizza and Garden Veggie Pasta.
- avocado oil
- italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- finely grated parmesan
See recipe card for quantities.
1. Preheat oven to 425*F. Chop zucchini into spears by cutting in half lengthwise, then cutting in half lengthwise again, or into rounds that are about ⅜" thick.
2. Place zucchini into a bowl and drizzle the oil over top then toss with a spatula or other stirring utensil until well coated. Pour the spices on top then again toss until well coated.
3. Add the finely grated parmesan and toss again. Make sure zucchini is well and evenly coated.
4. Spread zucchini out on a cooling rack. Place in the 425* F oven and bake spears for 12-14 minutes, until sliiiightly tender. Then broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese reaches desired melty-ness. For rounds bake for 6-8 minutes.
Hint: If using shredded parmesan instead of finely grated, don't toss the zucchini in it as it won't stick. Sprinkle it on top after placing on the cooling rack instead.
- Oil - use any cooking oil you want, just check the smoke point! We don't recommend Olive Oil as these get baked past the smoke point.
- Vegan - Make these vegan by omitting the parmesan, or substituting in your favorite vegan parmesan.
- Yellow Summer Squash - these can be made following the exact same directions with Yellow Summer Squash
- Cheese - these are also great with mozzarella and Romano cheeses. Try it with either or even all 3! Note that mozzarella and Romano shredded cheeses will not stick, so wait and sprinkle the cheese on top instead of tossing with the zucchini.
- Spicy - add ¼ teaspoon chili pepper flakes when adding the other seasoning for a little kick. This is my favorite way to eat them!
- Deluxe - double the parmesan, and add an extra ½ teaspoon basil and ¼ teaspoon paprika. Dip in your favorite dipping sauce!
- Fresh herbs - Use 1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley and basil and ½ teaspoon of fresh thyme and oregano for that wonderful flavor that only fresh herbs can bring!
- Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes - Use cherry or grape tomatoes. Use half the zucchini and 2 cups tomatoes. Toss tomatoes and zucchini together with the oil and spices and parmesan. Place straight on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake as directed above, stirring once, halfway through.
- Roasted Zucchini and Squash - Use any mixture of yellow squash and zucchini and make as directed!
These are best eaten fresh! If you have any leftovers, store in an airtight container. We recommend reheating in the air fryer at 400*F for 2-3 minutes. If you don't have an air fryer roast in the oven at 400 for 4-5 minutes.
We do not recommend freezing this dish. It will turn mushy and soggy when thawed.
To keep zucchini from getting soggy: Use a cooling rack to bake on and make sure the zucchini aren't touching each other. They have a high water content, so these are important.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove