Yum! Chocolate Zucchini Bread! It's delicious, chocolatey, moist and full of flavor. It is quick and easy to make- the hardest part is waiting while it bakes! We love these as a snack or dessert!
This bread is great year round, but is especially popular in the late summer and early fall when zucchini is in season. For other zucchini recipes, check out our Roasted Zucchini, Zucchini Fritters, and Zucchini Pizza
For other fun bread recipes, try our tasty homemade Banana Bread.
- Lower sugar and butter Chocolate Zucchini Bread - reduce butter to 6 Tablespoons, and sugars to ⅓ cup white sugar and ⅓ cup brown sugar. Increase grated zucchini to 1 ½ cups.
- Extra Zucchini - Add an extra ¾ cup of zucchini for 2 cups total added zucchini. Just make sure to squeeze the water out of 1 cup of the zucchini.
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread - Add ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks at the end.
- Dark Chocolate - add an extra 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder, and reduce the flour by 2 Tablespoons to make ⅞ cup flour.
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake - Double the recipe and bake in a 9X9 pan then cover with your favorite chocolate frosting or even better- we recommend chocolate ganache. (find our favorite ganache recipe on our copycat Cosmic Brownies)
I start these similarly to how I start cookies. Preheat the oven then combine the softened butter and sugar in a bowl and beat on high until creamed together. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on high for 1 more minute, until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk lightly to combine. Finely grate the zucchini and add to wet ingredients and stir until just barely combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Be careful not to over mix! Put in a greased loaf pan and bake at 350* F for 40 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
If you like more of the zucchini texture, feel free to grate the zucchini with a medium sized grater. We prefer the subtle texture of finely grated zucchini. When you add the zucchini to the wet ingredients it can look a little gross. It's okay, just keep going. These freeze beautifully and are absolutely fabulous thawed frozen! I never peel my zucchini, but if you want to, you certainly can!
The BEST Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups finely grated zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Combine the softened butter and sugar in a bowl and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on high for 1 more minute.
- In a separate bowl, add all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt) and whisk lightly to combine.
- Finely grate the zucchini and add to wet ingredients and stir until just barely combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Be careful not to over mix! See photo above to check consistency.
- Put in a greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake at 350* F for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- This bread freezes wonderfully! In some ways it's almost better after it's been frozen. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- I don't peel my zucchini before I grate it, but you certainly can!