Pesto is one of my all time favorite dishes. Creamy Kale Pesto Pasta came about when I was trying to figure out an alternative way to make delicious, yet affordable pesto. This dish is so easy to make! Even if you aren't a kale fan, it is still so delicious when paired with the amazing flavors of garlic, lemon, and cream cheese!
What I love about this delicious pesto, is how quick and easy it is. Instead of using traditional pine nuts, we've substituted them with chick peas. You get the same great taste but with an ingredient that's a little more accessible and affordable. The texture and taste is still just as great (if not a little better!)!
How to make Creamy Kale Pesto Pasta
In a larger food processor (I use this one) or blender (my personal favorite), you simply add each ingredient.
- Chick Peas
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Cream Cheese
Blend until the ingredients are smooth and well mixed. There will be small flakes of kale.
How to eat Creamy Kale Pesto
Add your Creamy Kale Pesto Pasta to your favorite pasta dish or even try it as a vegetable dip or spread on bread. It is so versatile and oh so delicious. When adding it to pasta, I like to add it to warm pasta in a large bowl and mix it all together. This helps the pesto to spread throughout all of the noodles and makes serving very easy.
Top your pesto pasta with more parmesan cheese, or mix it with some your favorite vegetables like tomatoes. The pesto is delicious when you add a protein like grilled chicken! Pair the Best Grilled Chicken Marinade with your Creamy Kale Pesto Pasta.
In order to help with the consistency, I like to make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before blending. This helps it to not to be chunky. This also makes it easy to mix into warm pasta.
I have tried both shredded parmesan and grated parmesan with the same effects. They both work fantastic and have a great flavor.
Creamy Kale Pesto Pasta
- 2 cups Kale packed
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 2 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoons garlic crushed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup parmesan shredded or grated
- 8 oz. penne pasta or your favorite pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place warm pasta in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large food processor or blender add all ingredients, except pasta, and blend until well mixed. It should have a smooth consistency with small flakes of kale.
- With a spatula, scrape all pesto from the food processor into the large bowl of warm pasta.
- Mix until pasta is well coated.
- If desired, top with additional parmesan cheese, mix in vegetables and or chicken. Serve immediately
- Mix in your favorite vegetable like cherry tomatoes or add a protein like grilled chicken.
- Can be stored in fridge for 3-4 days in an air tight container. Or freeze in an airtight container for 1 month.
- Try this delicious pesto as a spread on artisan bread or serve cold as a vegetable dip!