Nature's cereal has quickly become one of our favorite breakfast side dishes. It's so refreshing and tastes amazing. Who doesn't love a bowl of fresh berries paired with satisfying coconut water?
Whether you're looking for a light breakfast or a mid-day snack, nature's cereal is a fantastic and affordable option that will satisfy and energize you. So next time you're in the mood for a delicious treat, try nature's cereal!
Be sure to pair this fruit dish with some of our protein packed recipes for a great start to the day. Check out our Peanut Butter Energy Balls.
This is a simple recipe made with fresh fruit. You can make it your own by adding your favorite fruits, or use the ingredients we suggest as seen on TikTok.
- Raspberries- We love the sweet and sour punch that raspberries give this tasty dish.
- Blackberries- Another tart berry that pairs perfectly with the sweeter tastes of blueberries and raspberries.
- Blueberries- This berry compliments the other, more tart berries, with it's sweet taste.
- Coconut Water - room temperature or chilled, a great way to hydrate.
- Ice - we loving using crushed ice or pebble ice, it doesn't get in the way of the different fruits.
You can also use some of your other favorite berries like Strawberries, or even pomegranate. See substitutions below for more ideas!
See recipe card for quantities.
How To Make Nature's Cereal
This is a simple recipe that doesn't require a lot of effort. If needed, use the photos below for help.
- For this simple recipe, you will first need a single serve bowl! Add raspberries, blackberries and blueberries to the bowl. Pomegranate and strawberries are delicious substitutions.
2. Add the crushed or pebbled ice to the mixed berries. Pour coconut water over the top of the mixed berries and ice. You can use room temperature coconut water, or chilled depending on your preference.
Enjoy this breakfast immediately. You don't want the berries to sit in the liquid for too long or else they will begin to get soggy. It is best eaten fresh!
Hint: Use whatever berries or fruit that are in season to make for a more affordable breakfast.
Here is a list of various substitutions to help make this recipe your own. Try these different tips for a new spin on something tasty.
- Strawberries - switch out one of the berry options with strawberries. An easy, delicious, and accessible fruit.
- Pomegranate- add or substitute one of the fruits with pomegranate.
- Sweetened Nature's Cereal- have a sweet tooth. Sprinkle the top of your prepared bowl with ½ teaspoon of sugar or a dash of honey.
- Coconut flakes - For extra flavor, add dehydrated coconut flakes for an extra crunch and flavor.
- Brown Sugar Simple Syrup-Add a dash of flavor with a simple syrup. Use this homemade Brown Sugar Simple Syrup.
- Vanilla Simple Syrup- A touch of vanilla can add a lot to a fruity dish. Add this homemade vanilla simple syrup to add extra flavor.
Storing Nature's Cereal
Because the berries sit in coconut water and ice, it's best to eat this dish when made. The berries will become soggy and mushy if they sit in the coconut water for a long period of time.
If you do need to store, make sure to store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Note that the berries textures may change!
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing. The texture of the berries will change!
While we love making this recipe, it definitely doesn't make a complete meal. We enjoy pairing it with a breakfast high in protein to get you through the day. As a stand-alone, while high in antioxidants and vitamins, it is low in protein.
- 1 Small Bowl
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- ¼ cup crushed ice
- ¾ cup coconut water
- In a single serve, cereal sized bowl, add blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
- Pour in crushed ice.
- Pour coconut water over the top of the fruit and ice.
- You can substitute any berries for other fruit like strawberries, or pomegranate.
- Want it sweet? Sprinkle in ½ teaspoon sugar or a dash of honey.
- For a minty twist, add in a few mint leaves.
- Like it zesty, squirt in a few drops of lemon juice!
- Kid friendly - use pineapple juice or orange juice to make this a sweet treat for kids!
- Crunchy - Sprinkle in some homemade granola, try our Cardamom Granola Recipe.
- Cinnamon - Add extra flavor by adding ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Minty - Add a few mint leaves to make it feel even more refreshing.
- Coconut Milk - Try a creamier coconut flavor by using coconut water instead of coconut water.
- Frozen fruit- Instead of using fresh fruit use frozen fruit if fruit isn't in season. There isn't need for ice when using frozen fruit.
- keto- Use keto friendly fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
- Milk - Substitute coconut water for cows milk.
- Almond Milk- want a refreshing treat without coconut water? Try almond milk instead.