Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos are full of different textures and flavored to perfection. They are fresh, delicious and easy to make! The sweet potatoes and black beans are soft and tender without being mushy, the romaine gives it a delicious fresh crunch and the yogurt sauce adds so much flavor and creaminess.
What goes into a taco? Anything you want! Usually meat and toppings to start. We like to incorporate meatless days in a few times a week for a variety of reasons, and this recipe is so easy and a go to meal in our home. I love that I can just throw whatever we have in the fridge on it to mix it up, like bell peppers or cucumbers or other varieties of lettuce. Sometimes we have it with just the sweet potatoes, black beans, lettuce and dressing. We usually put guacamole on it too, but we are all obsessed with guacamole. Check out our amazing guacamole recipe here. These tacos are inexpensive, easy to make and come together pretty quickly. Try our Roasted Cauliflower Black Bean Tacos for another meatless Mexican night and serve them up with our Easy Churro Chips for dessert.
- Sweet potatoes
- Black beans
- Olive oil
- lime juice
- romaine lettuce
- flour tortillas
See recipe card for quanitities
Make The Potatoes
How do you roast sweet potatoes? First preheat the oven to 400*F. Then chop sweet potatoes into ½" cubes.
Toss in a bowl with olive oil until well coated, then add salt and cumin and toss until well mixed.
Next lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray, then spread potatoes on it. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a fork in a potato. It should slide in easily but not be mushy.
Next, rinse and drain the can of black beans. Wash and chop the lettuce. Then make the dressing. The dressing is very easy to make. I usually make it in our Ninja in a smoothie cup, but any blender will work.
Add the the cilantro, lime juice, greek yogurt and salt into the blender. Blend on high until smooth.
Next assemble the tacos! I'm in love with raw tortillas I have to cooke myself. I think they make all the difference in taste in any flour tortilla. But regular precooked tortillas are fine and much quicker. I cook my tortillas, then smear on guacamole (if using), layer the lettuce on the bottom then add the black beans.
Pile on the sweet potatoes. Next, pour on the dressing and add more lettuce if desired.
Finally, wrap up the ingredients in your flour tortilla and devour your sweet potato black bean tacos!
- Ultimate Veggie- add bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and more!
- Extra Filling- add white or brow rice
- Spicy- throw on some chopped jalapenos!
- Salad- Forget the tortilla and throw the ingredients onto a bed of lettuce! I love using leftovers for a salad the next day. The yogurt sauce makes a great dressing.
These store great and make amazing leftovers! Store all ingredients separately in the refrigerator. Reheat the sweet potatoes and black beans and assemble the same as before.
For freezing: Assemble without the lettuce and sauce and freeze! Reheat in the oven or microwave then add the lettuce and sauce.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
For the sweet potatoes:
- 4 medium/ large sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ Tablespoon cumin
- ⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 can black beans
- 8 flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into ½" or slightly smaller chunks.
- Place in bowl and toss in olive oil, then toss in the salt and cumin
- Bake at 400* F for 20- 25 minutes- You should be able to easily slide a fork into one when it's done.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Throw yogurt, salt, cilantro and lime juice into a blender.
- Blend until well combined.
- Wash and chop lettuce.
- Rinse and drain one can of black beans
- Place lettuce, black beans and sweet potatoes onto a flour tortilla.
- Top with cilantro lime dressing and other toppings.
- Roll up into a taco.