Learn how to make avocado sauce with this easy Avocado Crema, a tasty recipe to spice up any Mexican inspired dish. Made with fresh avocados, Mexican crema, lime juice, and cilantro, this light and creamy vegetarian sauce is so versatile and is ready to add a burst of flavor to your weekday menu.
Use this homemade avocado sauce for so many dishes. Get ready to up your taco, burrito, and salad game with this creamy delight. Or use it for steak, pasta dishes, and fish dishes like tilapia and salmon.
We loved making it for our Cinco de Mayo celebration. It added a splash of fresh flavor to the taco bar.
Crema is a Mexican dairy product that is similar to sour cream but with a slightly sweeter taste and a thinner consistency. It is made from heavy cream and can be used as a topping for tacos, enchiladas, or soups.
When deciding between a crema vs guacamole, remember that a crema is used as a topping while guacamole is used as a dip. Both use avocado and have a satisfyingly creamy texture.
Try our other Mexican inspired sauces like Smoky Red Pepper Crema, and Cilantro Lime Crema Sauce. Or our avocado lime ranch dressing.
Drizzle this on air fryer jerk tacos, birria quesadillas, or air fryer taquitos for a full flavor profile.
What We Love About this Recipe
- Quick and Easy- This can be put together in less than 5 minutes. You can immediately use it without having to chill beforehand.
- Versatile- We love that you can drizzle it on just about anything. Adding it to anything from tacos, to salads, to pasta dishes. The possibilities are almost endless!
- Vegan/Dairy Free Option- You can use a vegan sour cream substitution which will make this a vegan crema and also a dairy free option.
- Gluten Free- The ingredients used in this sauce are all gluten free.
- Great for Parties- We love featuring this at dinner parties as a tasty sauce option. Your guests can decide to top their favorite dishes with it.
We love the fresh ingredients used for this recipe. If you need to substitute anything, look to our substitution and variation section for ideas.
- Avocados- Make sure they are ripe or even overripe in order to get that creamy texture you want.
- Mexican Crema- This sour cream like dairy product is made with heavy cream and buttermilk and is the base to the sauce while adding a tangy taste.
- Minced garlic- This gives a stronger flavor than garlic powder.
- Lime juice- A zesty flavor that also compliments and adds to the flavor of the avocados.
- Cilantro- An optional addition. While some don't like the taste of cilantro, it can add a tasty flavor if you do!
See recipe card for quantities.
Use these step by step instructions to help you have success with this recipe. Use the pictures for clarity and texture.
- Add peeled and pitted avocados to a food processor.
2. Add lime juice to the high speed blender with the avocados.
3. Next you will add Mexican crema, salt, pepper, and garlic to the high speed blender or food processor.
4. Blend altogether until smooth.
Hint: Make sure to use ripe or overripe Avocados. This will help give the right texture. If the avocado is less ripe, it won't mix as well with the other ingredients and may leave chunks.
Substitutions and Variations
Use these ideas to help make this recipe your own. You can make this a dairy free and vegan option, or add more flavor!
- Mayo- Make this recipe with mayo. We suggest using half mayo and half sour cream or Mexican crema if you're using this substitutions.
- Vegan/Diary Free- Make with no sour cream and make it a vegan and dairy free option by using a vegan sour cream or vegan/dairy free plain yogurt. You can also grind cashews to a paste instead of using sour cream.
- Cilantro- We love the taste of cilantro and it can really add to the favor of this Avocado Crema. Blend in a small amount of cilantro at a time until you get the flavor you like.
- Garlic Powder- Instead of minced garlic you can use garlic powder for ease and convenience.
- Salsa-Add a cup of your favorite salsa to make Avocado Crema Salsa.
- Spicy- Red pepper flakes can be added, a teaspoon at a time, to add some heat. Also try adding half a jalapeno to the blender for some added heat and flavor. You may even enjoy hot sauce like Tapatio sauce or sriracha.
- Tomatillo-Blend in a tomatillo when blending in the other ingredients for added flavor.
- Greek yogurt-Instead of sour cream or Mexican creama, substitute for plain greek yogurt.
- Use frozen avocado to make this tasty dish. You will need to thaw first before putting in the blender.
- Make this a dressing for a lunch salad by adding milk until the desired texture is achieved.
- If wanting a vegan dish, make this with vegan plain yogurt and top your favorite cauliflower tacos.
- Use a mixture of sour cream, Mexican Crema, and greek yogurt depending on what you have on hand or like to buy.
How to Serve
- Serve with a variety of different meals like salmon meatballs, air fryer turkey meatballs, steak, and pasta dishes!
- We love making this with our sweet potato black bean burritos and enchiladas.
- Try making this for cinco de mayo or 4th of July. It adds a fun fresh sauce to help enhance the flavor of any dish.
- Super bowls and other big game days are a perfect time to eat make this easy sauce. It can be drizzled on appetizers and chicken wings.
- Taco Tuesday is our go-to with this sauce. We love it with our air fryer tacos, and Arepa Con Quesos.
- Try drizzling it on our Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa bowl for a healthy homemade lunch or dinner option.
For best results you will want to use the following equipment.
- Food Processor- Or high speed blend will be needed in order to evenly blend all of the ingredients. You want to make sure it has the ability to make a sooth texture, you don't want chunks in the this dressing.
Store Avocado Crema in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Make sure the container stays air tight for optimal freshness.
This recipe does not freeze and thaw well. Dairy often has a hard time keeping its original texture when thawed.
Make sure to blend until completely smooth. You want the consistency to be like a creamy sauce or dressing.
Avocado cream is tasty sauce or dressing made with ripe avocados, Mexican crema, lime juice, and minced garlic.
If sealed in an air tight container, you can store it in the fridge for 10 days. It last a long time and can be used on so many dishes.
To make this tasty sauce you will need to add avocados, Mexican crema, garlic, and lime juice to a blender and blend. Make sure it's blended well and smooth before serving.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are our favorite dishes to serve with Avocado Crema:
Avocado Crema Sauce
- 1 Food Processor or blender
- 2 avocados ripe or overripe
- ½ cup Mexican Crema sour cream or greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice about 2 limes
- ¼ teaspoon salt if not using Mexican Crema, use ½ teaspoon
- 1/16 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro optional
- Juice limes and remove skins from avocados. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- This recipe yields about 1 ¾ cups Avocado Crema
- Use any combination of Mexican Crema, plain Greek yogurt and/or sour cream
- The Mexican Crema sour cream has added salt, if using plain Greek yogurt or sour cream or regular Mexican Crema, increase the salt by ¼ teaspoon, or add to taste.
- Try with 2-4 Tablespoons chopped cilantro for a delicious twist
- Add 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes for a spicy alternative
Love this avocado cream sauce. It is so good on everything. We put it on burgers, salmon and tacos! Super easy to make the best recipe I've tried.
Mmm we love this avocado crema. It's the perfect cream sauce and we love it on quesadillas and burritos.