Egg Puff, or Breakfast Muffin, is a tasty high protein breakfast on the go. The perfect meal prep recipe for a busy morning made quickly in the oven and easily reheated in the air fryer. These mini quiches are gluten free and made with bacon, vegetable and feta cheese filling. A great copycat Starbuck Egg Bites recipe!
This is a perfect meal prep breakfast for a filling protein packed breakfast on the go.
Make this recipe for a special Christmas, Easter, or Mother's day Brunch. Use seasonal vegetables and different cheeses to help better suit your crowd.
Add this recipe to our tasty Easy Breakfast Charcuterie Board, or make it as a crustless side option to our our Veggie Quiche.
Other on the go meal prep breakfast ideas are our Peanut Butter Overnight Oats, Apple Muffins, and Peanut Butter Energy Balls.
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Easy Breakfast - This is a fun and easy breakfast to make the morning of or the night before. Something the whole family can love.
- Brunch Appetizer-Make this for an Easter, Mother's day, or Sunday brunch with your friends and family. It's delicious and has a fun fancy look, while being easy to make.
- Quick and Easy - Assembling these egg muffins is easy and quick and are cooked in less than 20 minutes.
- Kid Friendly -Use this as a great way to sneak vegetables into your kids diet, or personalize the egg mixture to your child's favorite vegetables, protein, and cheese.
- Meal Prep - Make this on Sunday before a busy week to ensure you get a protein packed and healthy breakfast. These are even freezer friendly and can be reheated in the air fryer.
- Easily Adapted- Make this your own by adding and subtracting veggies your family loves. See substitutions and adaptations for ideas.
- Fresh Ingredients- This recipe uses fresh vegetables for the best tastes and textures.
- Vegetarian, Gluten Free- Leave out the bacon and you can make this a vegetarian and gluten free breakfast.
- Eggs- This is the base of the recipe. An egg substitute like, vegan Just Egg can be used instead of chicken eggs.
- Milk-milk mixed with the eggs gives the egg bites the right texture.
- Bacon- When making this recipe we used bacon strips and then cut them into small pieces. You can also use bacon bits for a quick bacon fix.
- Green Onions- Used sliced green onions for a subtle yet tasty onion taste.
- Fresh Spinach-Add a punch of vitamin and flavor with chopped green spinach.
- Feta Cheese-Use feta cheese to top these egg muffins for a strong salty flavor.
- Mushrooms-use your favorite chopped mushrooms for added texture and flavor.
- Colored Bell Peppers- Chopped into small bite sized pieces.
Be sure to look at substitutions and variations for more vegetable, meat, and cheese ideas.
See recipe card for quantities.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Mix until the mixture is smooth and there aren't any egg chunks.
2. At the bottom of a well greased muffin tin, add chopped vegetables and bacon.
3. Evenly pour the egg and milk mixture on top of the vegetables and bacon in the muffin tin.
Top with feta cheese.
4. Bake in a preheated oven to 350* F for 20 minutes, or until the egg is set
5. Let cool and then carefully remove from the muffin tin. Serve warm plain, or topped with salsa.
Hint: This makes a great meal prep meal. You can freeze them in the freeze and when you're ready to eat, thaw and microwave or air fry to eat.
Substitutions and Variations
- Cheddar Cheese - instead of feta cheese, you can use cheese like cheddar, Colby jack or mozzarella.
- Sausage - substitute bacon bits for crumbled cooked breakfast sausage.
- Vegetarian - make this a vegetarian option by using only vegetables instead of protein from animals like bacon and sausage.
- Turkey Bacon-for a leaner bacon, use chopped cooked turkey bacon instead of traditional bacon. Use our easy air fryer turkey bacon recipe!
- Spicy - sprinkle crushed red pepper on top before cooking for an added spicy taste.
- Deluxe - add salsa, hot sauce, or more cheese when serving for a deluxe version.
- Kid friendly -make this kid friendly by letting your kids pick their favorite cheese, and protein to put in the egg cups. Let them help assemble for a fun family activity.
- Dairy Free- to make this dairy free, use a milk substitute like soy, almond, or oat milk instead of cows milk.
- Vegan-use a vegan egg substitute like Just Egg, and just use vegetables leaving out the bacon and cheese.
Mini Muffin Tin
Make mini egg puffs by using a mini muffin tin instead of regular sized muffin tin. This makes great bit sized appetizers for any brunch or breakfast.
You will need to adjust the the amount of vegetables and egg you put in each tin. Start with 1 tablespoon of egg mixture in each cup.
Cook at 350* F for 7 minutes, check for doneness, and cook for an additional 5 minutes if needed.
For the best results you will need the following equipment to make this recipe.
- Mixing Bowl
- Muffin Tin
Try this silicon muffin tin for removing the recipe more easily.
Store the cooked Egg Puff in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To reheat, heat in the microwave for 30 second intervals or heat in an air fryer to crisp up the edges. Air fry for 1-2 minutes at 400 degrees, or until heated all the way through.
This is a great meal prep breakfast. Freeze in the an air tight container or ziplock bag and when ready to eat remove the desired amount and heat in the microwave.
Once thawed, you can also reheat in the air fryer to get that out of the oven texture
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are our favorite dishes to serve with Egg Puffs:
Egg Puff (Egg Bites)
- Muffin Tin
- Mixing Bowl
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cups milk
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- ½ cup bacon chopped
- ⅓ cup bell pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup green onion sliced
- ⅓ cup mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350* F
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the 6 eggs and milk. Mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Generously spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Evenly add the spinach, bell pepper, green onion, mushrooms, and bacon to each cup in the muffin tin.
- Add 3 tablespoons of egg mixture to the top of each vegetable cup. If the egg doesn't settle, gently wiggle the vegetables to let the egg pass through. If you have leftover mixture, evenly add to each cup.
- Top each cup with feta cheese.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Make sure the egg is set in the middle and the tops begin to brown just slightly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Carefully remove each egg muffin for the muffin tin. You may need to take a knife and carefully trace around each cup to help release the sides.
- Enjoy warm the day of, or put in the refrigerator or freezer for a meal prep breakfast for a later date.
- Freeze for up to 1 month. When ready to eat thaw and heat in the microwave or crisp the edges in the air fryer.
- Use an air fryer to reheat from the refrigerator. Set to 400*F and air fry for 3-5 minutes. Time may vary depending on the air fryer you have.
- Use turkey bacon, or sausage instead of traditional bacon.
- Omit any ingredients from the vegetable or bacon list to adjust to your needs.
- Make this diary free by using almond, soy or oat milk.
- Use Just Egg for a vegan option.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
This is the best copycat Starbucks egg bite recipe! So tasty and a great meal prep meal!