Come and learn how to make this new copycat creamy Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese recipe from scratch. The reviews are out and we are loving this insanely good at home recipe with delicious ingredients. This baked, casserole style, family size side dish will be your new comfort food favorite made with real cheese and all homemade.
Step aside waffle fries, this casserole style dish is our new go-to to pair with every thing from chicken sandwiches to nuggets.
After raving reviews from viral platforms like Tiktok and Reddit we had to try and make our own version of this ultimate comfort food and make this a family size side dish or even meal. This recipe has no egg in it.
We love this hack for a cost effective copycat side dish that tastes just like the real deal and think you will too! This healthier version than the original sports less calories than the restaurant style dish.
Be sure to try out other copycat recipes like our avocado lime ranch dressing.
Instead of going out to order, make this at home for any occasion like family dinner, a potluck side dish, or even part of Thanksgiving or Easter dinner. It's the perfect size!
What You'll Love About This Recipe
- Fun Copycat Recipe - Make this brand new side from home with our easy step by step instruction to make this near perfect replica.
- Quick and Easy - We love a quick and easy dinner and this one hits the spot. Make this meal in less than 30 minutes!
- Kid Friendly -What kid doesn't love a delicious macaroni and cheese? With this dish you get a bold new taste that kids are guaranteed to love.
- Classic - A classic American family staple that brings a touch of new flavor.
- Homemade-A dish that we can all make by heart from the box now in an easy yet tasty form from scratch. A homemade meal perfect as a side or meatless main.
- Easily Adapted- Make it your own way by making adaptations found in the variation and substitutions sections.
- Easy Ingredients- We made this copycat recipe with easy ingredients you are likely to have at home or can easily access. Though the original recipe calls for Bellavitano cheese, we made it in a way that preserves that unique taste but with staple ingredients.
- Perfect for Special Occasions-Make this as a side for a family get together or add it to your Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter side dishes. It won't be out of place!
- Healthier- we tried our best to make this a healthier version of what you can by at the fast food chain.
- Unsalted Butter- We often use unsalted butter in our recipes. If you use salted butter that's great, make sure to adjust the added salt to meet your preferences.
- All-Purpose Bleached Flour-for making a simple butter and flour roux. Helps to form the cheese sauce.
- Whole milk- for best results we recommend using whole milk as it will give the cheese sauce the right consistency. Thinner milks may thin the sauce.
- Heavy whipping cream- Heavy whipping cream adds extra depth and taste to the sauce that may be missing in whole milk. To help make this a healthier option, we only use a small portion of heavy whipping cream.
- Table Salt- if you are using salted butter make sure to adjust the salt you add. Always feel free to adjust salt based on personal preferences.
- Sharp cheddar- a delicious staple to this meal that gives it that original macaroni and cheese taste.
- Romano cheese- this grated cheese really pin points that extra fruity and nutty cheesy taste when you take a bite of the real deal menu item.
- Parmesan cheese- a grated cheese that pairs nicely with the Romano and sharp cheddar.
- Colby jack cheese- a milder cheese that tops this casserole giving it that signature crispy cheese taste but also doesn't take away from the other flavors.
See recipe card for quantities.
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter and add flour to make a roux.
2. Slowly add the whole milk and heavy whipping cream stirring constantly. Simmer and stir until it begins to thicken.
3. Add sharp cheddar, grated Romano and Parmesan cheese to the milk mixture.
4. Mix until a smooth cheese sauce is formed.
5. Add cooked elbow pasta noodles to the prepared cheese sauce and mix until coated.
6. Pour the coated noodles into a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with Colby jack cheese and bake for 5 minutes.
7. Broil for an additional; 3-5 minutes until the top cheese is bubbly and starting to brown. Serve and enjoy!
Hint: You can easily freeze or prep for later by making this recipe all the way until the baking instructions. Cover and store in the refrigerator or freezer and then bake when ready to serve.
Manage the calories you put into your dish by making alterations and substitutions. Make sure the price is right for you with what type of cheese you use.
- Gluten Free - make this a gluten free meal by using your favorite gluten free noodles.
- Parmesan Cheese- while this recipe already calls for parmesan cheese, you can replace the Romano cheese with all parmesan cheese.
- Bellavitano Cheese- This cheese can be used instead of Romano cheese. It has a fruity and nutty taste that gives Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese it's signature taste. But it can be hard to come by.
- Spicy - make this dish spicy by adding in red pepper flakes.
- Deluxe - take it up a notch by adding 1 cup of cooked pulled pork before baking. Top with Colby Jack Cheese and bake.
- Bacon - Just like the pulled pork, add bacon crumbles to the noodle and cheese mixture.
- Chicken- Serve with grilled or breaded chicken on the side for extra protein.
How long is this side good for? Store Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When ready to eat, reheat in the microwave, or oven.
Make this meal ahead of time and freeze for up to 2 months in an air tight freezer friendly container. Make sure to skip the final bake step before freezing. Thaw and bake or bake from frozen making sure to give yourself enough time.
When making the roux, make sure to keep stirring and don't add the cheese until it begins to thicken. If it gets too thick, add pasta water to the mixture to help thin the sauce out.
Use these step by step instructions to make a delicious copycat recipe.
Because of the flavor of the dish we believe that it is made with real cheese instead of a cheese powder. Our copycat recipe is made with 4 different real cheeses making it a tasty side.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with Chic Fil A Mac and Cheese:
Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese
- medium saute pan
- medium sauce pan
- 1 9x13 baking dish you can also use a 9x9 baking dish, the casserole will be thicker.
- 16 ounce elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅛ cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar
- ½ cup grated romano cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Colby jack cheese
- Cook elbow pasta according to package directions.Drain and set aside. Reserve ½ cup pasta water just in case you need to thin cheese sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350* F
- While the noodles cook: In a medium saute pan, on medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Once melted add the ⅛ cup of all purpose flour and mix together.
- Slowly pour in the 1 ½ cups of whole milk, continually stirring. Then add the ½ cup heavy whipping cream. Stir on medium heat until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ½ teaspoon of salt.
- When the sauce begins to thicken, add in the 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar, ½ cup parmesan, and ½ cup Romano. Mix until a smooth mixture is formed. If the sauce is too thick for coating noodles add in pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time. See photos above for a great visual on these steps.
- Add the cooked elbow pasta into the cheese sauce and mix until completely coated. Transfer the noodles into a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the top with ½ cup of Colby jack cheese. Add more if desired.
- Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Change the bake setting to broil and broil on high for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. If your oven runs hot, make sure to check after 1 or 2 minutes so you don't burn the cheese.
- Serve hot as a side dish or make it a meal!
- Make ahead and freeze for up to 2 months. Make sure to skip the baking step before freezing. When ready to serve, thaw and bake until heated through and cheese on the top melts and begins to brown.
- If serving later assemble with colby jack cheese on top and place in the refrigerator before cooking in the oven. When ready to serve, cook in the oven at 350* F for 5 minutes and then broil for 3-5 minutes as directed.
- Instead of Romano cheese you can use 1 cup of parmesan cheese. The Romano cheese gives the copycat recipe that similar taste.
- Reheat in the microwave or oven until heated all the way through.
- If the roux becomes thicker then you would like, thin down with extra pasta water reserve.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds