Air Fryer Asparagus with parmesan is an absolutely delicious and healthy dish that is easy to prepare. The asparagus comes out perfectly cooked and crispy, while the parmesan adds a savory, cheesy flavor that perfectly complements the earthy taste of the asparagus. This dish is also a great way to add some variety to your meals while still maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet. Whether you're looking for a tasty side dish or a quick and easy snack, air fryer asparagus with parmesan is sure to satisfy.
Asparagus is in season in the spring and early summer, and is often a popular side for holiday meals. We love it in the air fryer during the hot months especially, so as to not heat up the house!
This was inspired by our Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks and Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters. Try our fun and yummy Asparagus Wrapped in Puff Pastry. It's a great side that's easy to make and beautiful too! It pairs perfectly with our Bacon Wrapped Chicken or our Best Manicotti EVER.
Asparagus has been enjoyed as a food for thousands of years, with evidence of its consumption dating back to ancient Egypt. The vegetable was also prized by the Greeks and Romans, who considered it a delicacy and believed it had medicinal properties. Asparagus was introduced to Europe in the 16th century and became popular among the wealthy, eventually spreading to other parts of the world. Today, asparagus remains a popular vegetable enjoyed in a variety of cuisines around the globe.
Asparagus is a great vegetable that offers a range of health benefits. It is a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and is low in calories, making it a nutritious and filling addition to any meal. Additionally, its unique flavor and texture make it a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy - this recipe is super quick and easy to make, making it the perfect last minute side dish to go with your meal.
- Perfect Texture - Making asparagus in the air fryer makes it the absolute best texture. It's perfectly crisped, yet tender and never mushy.
- Family Friendly - this dish is perfect for everyone young and old. My kids love it, I love it, and we have found grandparents love it too.
- Kids can make it - trying to teach your kids basics in the kitchen? This is easy enough older kids can make it with a little supervision and younger kids can help out!
- asparagus - thin asparagus has a better texture and flavor, but we still love thick asparagus too!
- avocado oil - you can use any baking oil, but avocado oil is our favorite for air fryer recipes.
- garlic spread seasoning of choice this one is our favorite -OR- parsley, italian seasoning, salt and garlic powder
- parmesan cheese
See recipe card for quantities.
These ingredients are important for making the perfect asparagus in the air fryer. Since it cooks at a high temperature, you need to make sure your oil has a high smoke point, making avocado oil a great option. The spices are perfectly paired with the asparagus and parmesan to create the perfect flavor combination.
1. Preheat air fryer to 400* F. Rinse asparagus and pat dry. Snap off ends. To do this, bend the asparagus towards the bottom where it starts to lighten and it will snap in the correct place all by itself! Place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Drizzle avocado oil over the asparagus and mix thoroughly until well coated. I like to take the ends and rub them in the oil on the bottom to ensure they are coated completely. You can use vegetable, canola or olive oil for this. Coconut oil is not recommended as it does not have a high enough smoke point.
3. Sprinkle garlic spread seasoning and pepper over the top. Mix well until it's evenly and thoroughly coated. I like to use my hands, but you can use a spatula. Make sure the tops are coated too! You can do this easily by swirling the tops in any spices that are on the bottom of the bowl.
4. Place in air fryer basket. For this dish, it's okay if the asparagus isn't in a single layer. Cook for 4 minutes then shake basket or turn asparagus with tongs. Add parmesan cheese and cook an additional 3 minutes for a total of 7 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
Hint: Wash your air fryer as soon as it cools down enough! Air fryers are prone to getting a build up of oil residue, washing soon after use helps prevent this.
- Oil - you can use vegetable or canola oil or even olive oil. I don't like to use olive oil in my air fryer, as it leaves a build up of gunk over time, despite washing after each use.
- Garlic Spread- use ¾ teaspoon parsley, ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder instead of garlic spread seasoning.
- Cheese - instead of using parmesan, for a milder flavor try mozzarella or provolone. For a sharper more intense flavor try Romano.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes at the same time as the other spices, or sprinkle on top after cooking. We love ours this way!
- Bacon Air Fryer Asparagus- add bacon crumbles (we recommend crumbles over bits) at the same time as adding the parmesan. OR wrap the asparagus spears in groups of 3 in bacon. Cook time may take an additional 2-5 minutes- make sure bacon is fully cooked before consuming!
- Air Fryer Asparagus and Salmon- spread butter and garlic spread seasoning on top of salmon and place salmon on top of asparagus in air fryer. Cooking time should be about the same time, but always check your meat for doneness. See our Food Safety Guidelines located below the recipe card.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400* for 2-3 minutes.
These ingredients do not hold up well to freezing- freezing is not recommended.
Make sure the asparagus is well coated in oil. I do use as little oil as possible. The tops tend to not get coated as well and can then burn while in the air fryer. After combining with the oil as best I can, I like to swirl the tops in any leftover oil on the bottom. I also do the same with the spices to ensure maximum flavor.
Wash asparagus and remove lower ends at the point where they snap. Toss in some avocado oil or other cooking oil with a high smoke point. Toss in your favorite spices such as parsley, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Air fry at 400° F. for 4 minutes. Shake them and toss them to mix them up, then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and air fry for 3 more minutes.
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic spread mixture* see below for substitution
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat air fryer to 400*F.
- Rinse asparagus and pat dry. Snap off ends. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle oil over the top and mix to coat thoroughly, making sure to get the ends so they don't burn!
- Add spices and again mix to coat thoroughly.
- Place in air fryer basket and cook for 4 minutes. Shake or turn asparagus then add parmesan cheese. Cook 3 more minutes for a total of 7 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400*F for 2-3 minutes.
- It is not recommended to freeze this dish
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Our family loves how crispy and wonderful the texture of asparagus is when cooked this way. Also, such a great flavor, we will be making it this way from now on!
This air fryer asparagus, we loved the spices and parmesan! It is so easy and cooked perfectly! I will never make it any other way again!
I wouldn't have thought of cooking asparagus in the air fryer but what an awesome idea - it is so crispy and delicious, like it has been BBQd but cooked in minutes! Love this recipe yummy recipe!! Love that I don't have to heat up my oven and can still have crispy asparagus!
I've always been a roasted veggie fanatic, but air fryer veggies are next level! This is such a great recipe! Love the parmesan and yummy flavor the spices add.
I already love asparagus. I thought my favorite way to eat it was oven roasted. But it's not. My favorite way to eat it is this recipe. Asparagus made in the air fryer is the best, no question. Great recipe and flavors. yum!
This is a perfectly quick, simple and delicious air fryer asparagus recipe. My family loves it and loves how flavorful the asparagus is. Makes a fantastic side dish or appetizer.
This was such an easy and delicious way to cook asparagus! This was my first time using the air-fryer and it couldn't have been easier. Thanks for the recipe!